Windows Home Server unresponsive during storage balancing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running WHS Power Pack 3 with 2 x 1.5TB drives. I'm also running Squeezebox Server and connecting a Squeezebox Duet for music playback. I have about 400gb in shared folders that have duplication turned on. Sometimes everythign runs fine, I can connect with the console right away from my home pc, I can open shared folders, play music, etc. But sometimes it just hangs and becomes either very slow to respond or completely unresponsive for a few mintues. The Squeezebox player will disconnect, I get an error message when I try to connect with the console or a remote desktop connection. If I'm already connected with the console, it hangs trying to do anything. Then after some time everything clears up again. In checking the console, I notice that the "Storage Balanced On" time corresponds with the hang-ups. Is it possible that storage balancing is doing something to block or slow access to the drives, causing the unresponsive behavior? Any ideas on how to address? The system is fairly new with Celeron 2.2 dual proessors, WD SATA drives, and 3gb of ram.
    Thanks
    Monday, March 1, 2010 12:59 AM

All replies

• Well, the slower performance during balancing is really kind of "by design". Microsoft has decided to prioritize protecting your data higher than using your data, so Drive Extender has a very high priority when it makes a pass through your shares. Personally, I feel this is the right decision, but if you disagree you can always submit a product suggestion on Connect .

BTW: Dual processors won't do you any good. Windows Home Server will use one processor (and up to 4 cores on that processor).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 1, 2010 1:14 AM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the response. However, my system isn't "slower" during balancing, it's unresponsive. That means I can't connect or do anything with the console, my music player (squeezebox) won;t connect or respond, etc. For a few minutes every hour it might as well be a paperweight, very frustrating if you're listening to music. Any ideas? Does anyone know if there's a way to control balancing so that it occurs dring off hours only?
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:46 AM
  • There is no way to control the scheduling of the DEmigrator

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:41 PM
  • There is no way to control the scheduling of the DEmigrator

Well, in fact in some way you could.

I have 2 scheduled tasks that suspends and resumes demigrator.exe at evenings (movie time).
    I'm using a utility found at http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/processutil/processutil.htm
    to achieve this.

Per
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:58 AM
  • To be honest, it sounds like you have some problem other than Drive Extender. You shouldn't experience that level of performance hit from balancing (though you may see HD video stutter while Drive Extender is working). Can you run chkdsk on all your drives?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:43 PM
  • I'd like to chime in here as well.  I've got 5TB of storage over 4 drives on my EX495 (1.5TB currently used, only 7MB of folder duplication).  I bought the WHS primarily for storing and serving HD Video and recorded TV to my Media Center PCs.  Frequently throughout the day my streaming video starts to stutter badly.  Every time I can trace that back to a storage balancing event on the WHS.  I will submit a product suggestion through Connect, but I hope someone can provide a solution that perhaps limits storage balancing to a set time period  (i.e. 3 A.M. to 6 A.M).  I looked at the process utility suggested above, but that might be beyond might comfort level to implement.

EDIT:  I've joined a few others in posting a comment on Connect.  Thanks for the suggestion.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:51 AM