none
READ Verify after WRITE? RRS feed

• Question

• Does SyncToy do a READ verify after WRITE? Explorer does in WinXP. CMD does not by default but Verify ON is an option.

tnx

gb

Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:53 PM

All replies

• I guess you mean if SyncToy verifies

that the filestream it has synced over to the destination is identical to the source-side filestream and isn't corrupted during transit.

If so, SyncToy doesn't verify this.

Hope this helps,

Sameer

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Is this something that could be added in a future release as at least an option?

I'm interested in SyncToy as a facility to create replicas of the original source without dealing with a special "backup" format and generating programs that may not survive over the intended life of the data.

IOW, I want the original directory structure and files to to be replicated without being imbedded in a "container."

SyncToy does what I want but I need assurance that the destination matches the source after it's creation.

tnx

gb

Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Can you provide more clarity/example on what you mean as "special backup format" and "embedding in a container" ?

If I understand your needs correctly, you essentially need :

1. directory structure and files are replicated from source to destination

2. file contents are gauranteed to be identical from source to destination

3. you want to avoid banking on a sync solution that would be outlasted by the data being synced, right ?

If above are correct, then:

- For 1) above, SyncToy does the job pretty well. Once in a while there may be errors because a file may be locked (by some anti virus or other program) that SyncToy won't be able to sync across.

- For 2) above, SyncToy uses Window's shell's copy API to copy files over as a transfer mechanism. It doesn't have it's own copy mechanism (hence we can't gaurantee for read verify either). So the gaurantee SyncToy gives relies on Window's copying ability - which pretty solid for the most part.

Still if you prefer hard gaurantees, consider using File Sync Provider (FSP) component of Microsoft Sync Framework. This is what even SyncToy uses internally. With a sync controlling appplication that uses FSP, you can write your verifying utility to compare both source and destination files for exactness. But then again, you can write your own read-verify utility to kick off after SyncToy has synced.

Did you know you can schedule SyncToy to run or even run SyncToy from command line.

Using a batch script and your own read-verify utility, you could get a solution you want.

Hope this helps,
    Sameer

Monday, January 26, 2009 7:34 PM