What triggers updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Live mesh could be great but I have problems with the updates.

Using Word 2007 the updates seem to happen quickly when I save the document.

Using Excel 2007 the backup file seems to update regularly but I need to quit Excel to get the file itself to update.

Using Onenote there seems to be no rules at all. Today for instance I was working on my laptop until about 11:15 am and Onenote updated automatically at 10:37am. Moving to my desktop I tried clicking Check for Updates on both machines and was only told that both were uptodate. Eventually at about 12:15 I used synctoy to save the file in another location on the laptop with the idea of then transfering the now backed-up file to the desktop using a memory stick. It might be coincidence but immediately the laptop decided to do an update of the Onenote file and it was on the desktop in a minute or two.

I suppose this is just a problem with it being Beta but any ideas for reliably forcing updates would be appreciated.

Jon

Monday, November 2, 2009 12:33 PM

Answers

• Yes, OneNote perhaps doesn't hold the files open. That may be due to the fact that you can share a OneNote notebook between computers natively. I store my Notebook on a server and the local machines sync their updates to the server copy and from the server copy.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:47 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 4:23 PM

All replies

• The files won't sync if they are open and in use. So, for your Excel and OneNote examples, I suspect that the files are not available to be synchronized all the time.
    Check for Updates doesn't check for sync updates, that checks for an update to Live Mesh itself. There is no facility to force a sync.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 2, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Stephen,

it all makes sense except that onenote does update - on the receiving end - without closing the program - I suppose that's because of the way it saves in the background...?

Jon
    Monday, November 2, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Yes, OneNote perhaps doesn't hold the files open. That may be due to the fact that you can share a OneNote notebook between computers natively. I store my Notebook on a server and the local machines sync their updates to the server copy and from the server copy.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:47 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 4:23 PM