Win Server 2003/2008 x64 joining NT4 domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have a friend that has a NT 4 domain with a PDC and BDC.

They are adding a new stand-alone server to the domain.

Does anyone know if there will be a problem:

1. joining Win Server 2003 x64 Enterprise to a NT4 domain?

2. joining Win Server 2008 x64 Standard or Enterprise to a NT4 domain?

They already have Win Server 2003 x86 Standard on the NT4 domain.
    So it's a question of x64 and/or Enterprise and/or Server 2008 having issues.

(They are not planning on upgrading to active directory anytime soon.)

Thank you in advance for any information.

Joe

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:03 PM

Answers

• Active Directory supports PDC emulation.  I think they call it "mixed mode".  One option is to upgrade the domain to Active Directory and enabling the PDC emulation for backward compatibility with the existing NT systems, while enabling forward compatibility to Windows 2008 X64 edition.

I recommend going with Windows 2008 X64 because it's the most technologically advanced option right now, thus the most painful.  The people working on it will gain a lot of valuable experience that will help with migration of the other systems.

-Ryan / Kardax
    Monday, April 14, 2008 3:20 PM

All replies

• The only problem I can think of is that Windows NT is not supported by Microsoft anymore.  Actually, Windows 2000 is scheduled to expire in less than 2 years, too.

Your friend's existing setup might "work", but if anything goes wrong he/she is completely on his/her own.  Microsoft will offer no help or support of any kind.

-Ryan / Kardax
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:40 AM
  •  

Thanks, Ryan/Kardax.

They are well aware of the unsupported situation they are in.

They have active directory on the schedule.  Unfortunately, it keeps getting pushed down the list when other priorities occur (like the development server failing which is the cause for this server replacement) and it gets compounded when someone has the brilliant idea to use x64 (which will be the first x64 implementation at this company) which causes all sorts of headaches like will it be able to join the NT domain, will the applications actually install and work, etc.  They already know that anti-virus will be a problem..it will require manual updating until they upgrade to the new version (already on the schedule for next month.)

And when they go AD, it's a big ticket purchase because the current NT boxes are PDC/BDC, mass storage and one of them runs IBM/Lotus Notes.  The new server plan is for 2 AD servers, 1 file server with mass storage and 1 exchange server.

So they have to spread out their purchases in order to get them through executives for approval.

Thanks again,

Joe

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Active Directory supports PDC emulation.  I think they call it "mixed mode".  One option is to upgrade the domain to Active Directory and enabling the PDC emulation for backward compatibility with the existing NT systems, while enabling forward compatibility to Windows 2008 X64 edition.

I recommend going with Windows 2008 X64 because it's the most technologically advanced option right now, thus the most painful.  The people working on it will gain a lot of valuable experience that will help with migration of the other systems.

-Ryan / Kardax
    Monday, April 14, 2008 3:20 PM
  •  

I appreciate the info.

They have 2 NT boxes left, the PDC and BDC.  All other servers are Win Server 2003.  Unfortunately over the years, the DC's got polluted with other apps and file storage.  The boxes are so old that they can't be upgraded to 2003.  So their plan is to acquire hardware and move applications and file storage from the 2 NT servers onto new servers.  (Which takes money and time.)  Then when the NT servers are only providing DC funcationality, they will swap them with two new AD servers.

When they go AD, they are planning on a big bang.  (It's a small company with 30 users.)

With 2008 being a little over a month old, there is no way they would consider using it.  It's just too new.  They, like many others I know, wait the year or so for SP1 to smooth out the wrinkles and for software vendors, drivers, etc. to catch up and fully support it.

Joe

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:44 PM