Deleted Files Removed from Back up files RRS feed

• Question

• When I delete files from my hard drive during normal operations; then when I start the back up operation - are those files removed from my back up files, so that when I do a recovery they will not show up?
    Monday, November 2, 2009 3:18 AM

Answers

• If files are deleted prior to the backup being performed they will not be backed up. If the files were previously backed up, then deleted from your hard drive One Care will not delete them from exixting backups.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, November 2, 2009 5:53 AM

All replies

• If files are deleted prior to the backup being performed they will not be backed up. If the files were previously backed up, then deleted from your hard drive One Care will not delete them from exixting backups.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, November 2, 2009 5:53 AM
  • So, if I delete numerous files from my hard drive, and do not want them included in backup; I will need to start a new backup file.  Correct?
    Friday, November 6, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Yes, that's correct. However, deleted files will not be restored when you choose to restore from the latest state of the PC - the last backup. The catalog for the update is updated to reflect the current state each time an incremental backup runs. Starting a new backup each time will result in backups that are much larger than needed and you'll run out of space fairly quickly depending on how much data is being backed up.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Thanks Steve,  One more question and it has to do with your last comment above.  How do I delete the old back up folders?  I have gone in to Properties and have removed the "Read Only", but I still cannot delete the old files.  Any ideas??
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Deleting backups is a bit tedious. Changing the properties and taking ownership often needs to be done from the lowest level folder on up. See this post for details: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/f0281206-ed0b-474c-8541-cc50843e5be2
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 9, 2009 1:04 PM