IsSystem column RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried to sync a Database that had a column IsSystem bit NOT NULL default ((0)).

Sync Services would create the table but failed on the data download saying that IsSystem cannot be NULL. The data in the table was perfectly valid. I changed the server to allow NULL but left the data (the data had all rows set to true) in there and Sync worked, but had NULL for all the values of IsSystem. I then changed the name of IsSystem to ISystem and put NOT NULL back on. The data came across just fine.

Does Sync Services treat IsSystem as a reserved word or something? If so, are there other column names I should avoid.
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 3:22 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:59 PM

Answers

• Interesting bug. This is not intentional. It turns out that the query that looks at the schema from CE database is trying to skip system columns which have names like '__sys%' . In comparison underscore is a wild card and maps to any character hence a column name that has 2 characters followed by sys are having problems.

We will look at fixing this bug in the next release. Till then avoid using columns that have two characters followed by sys.

Thanks for posting this question.
    Darshan
    Development Lead , Microsoft
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:35 AM

All replies

• More on this.... I discovered that it is any column that starts with "IsSys" that fails.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Interesting bug. This is not intentional. It turns out that the query that looks at the schema from CE database is trying to skip system columns which have names like '__sys%' . In comparison underscore is a wild card and maps to any character hence a column name that has 2 characters followed by sys are having problems.

We will look at fixing this bug in the next release. Till then avoid using columns that have two characters followed by sys.

Thanks for posting this question.
    Darshan
    Development Lead , Microsoft
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Thanks!
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:11 PM