Where live mesh is headed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question about your goals for Live Mesh.  Do you plan to make the architecture completely open, so that I could replace Microsoft's cloud server with my own, if I wanted?  For example, if I wanted to create an instant messaging service that keeps a history of conversations available for each user, could I do it by setting up my own server and using the Live Mesh technology to handle the data synchronization (the instant messages)?  (If this is possible, would I have to pay for it?)  Or, would I have to coordinate with Microsoft to use their data storage facilities, while writing the web and desktop interface myself?
    • Edited by aatreya Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:22 AM update
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:21 AM

Answers

• Hi aatreya,

As the Live Mesh architecture is based on FeedSync, it will be very easy for any application to pull data from or push data into your mesh.  As a result, it should be quite simple to accomplish the scenario your describe.  We'll be announcing details of the developer APIs later in the year so that you can try these scenarios.  In the meantime, feel free to watch Ori's video; it should answer a few of your questions.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Monday, May 12, 2008 3:39 PM
    Answerer