none
Some Windows Live calendar - Outlook calendar problems

Question

• I recently purchased a WindowsPhone7 phone, which I really love, but I have not at all loved the process of syncing Outlook contacts and calendar with my phone via Windows Live. Outlook is powerful and has so many features that are not available in Windows Live, so I don't understand why we are being forced to 'dumb down' our calendars and contacts in order to fit it into Live. Anyway, here are a couple of my issues that I have not been able to resolve.

First, some background. I have WP7 and Office2010. I copied all of my contacts/calendar appointments into Live according to Microsoft instructions and currently have the Live calendar/contacts set as my default in Outlook. I have also created a local backup calendar/contacts in the event that the Live ones fail me. So now some issues...

1. I have some events that appear on my phone and on live.com, but are not appearing in Outlook. I think it's mainly happening to birthdays that I have created as yearly recurring appointments from their year of birth - so I can remember how old they are - and then assigned to my 'birthday' category. This issue is not happening with all birthday events, only about a third of them. I have tried deleting the ones that aren't 'working' and re-creating them, but they still will not show up in the Outlook Live calendar even though they are on my phone and online. I see no pattern for why these events are not displaying but others are.

2. In my Live calendar/contacts in Outlook, all of the categories that I had been using previously in Outlook are now essentially useless. If I open an individual appointment, I will see my old category (now colorless), but these old categories are "not in Master Category List" so I cannot assign colors to them, nor can I use these categories for new appointments that I create in my Live calendar. If I just go ahead and re-create the categories in Live (in other words, start all over again), then I would literally have to go through hundreds maybe thousands of appointments/events to apply the new categories to each appointment individually. There's got to be a better way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:45 PM

Answers

• Well glory be! While randomly fiddling with something else, I figured out how to fix both of these. It's like I'm a new person now, so much more whole and complete.
    • Marked as answer by mwmoore Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:57 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:57 AM

All replies

• Well glory be! While randomly fiddling with something else, I figured out how to fix both of these. It's like I'm a new person now, so much more whole and complete.
    • Marked as answer by mwmoore Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:57 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Ahhhh, could you please post your solution then?  Others are having the same problem (I know I am and I am not unique, therefore there are others out here who are not putting their hands up).  
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:44 AM