Backup to network share fails with "unknown errors" RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a network share hosted on a Vista Ultimate server. The client is Vista Home Premium. The backup location was set using the browse function of "select location" - i.e. I didn't just type the share name in. This morning the same location was successfully used by WLOC 1.6 for a backup [the directory tree under the share has been moved elsewhere for safekeeping].

WLOC 2.0 fails with the following when a manual backup is initiated:

"OneCare cannot access the Network Share because of unknown errors. Please try after some time"

Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:18 AM

Answers

• Since it didn't happen in the previous version, you should report this as a bug. See the post above for how to do that. I don't think you can configure backup from the limited user account, so that's probably not the solution. Backup is configured for the PC under the admin account, but it would appear that OneCare can't deal with authenticating the Share automatically. You might also want to contact support. 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:23 PM

All replies

• Attempting to access the support log as the logged in used (non-Admin) gave the following pop-up:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" [C:\Users\Admin\AppData.....]

After logging in as Admin, the support log had no entry for the failed backup attempt.

After logging in as Admin, the manual backup worked correctly.

Why is does the manual backup fail when logged in as a non-Admin user?

Why does the support log creation try to access a directory belonging to another user?

Why is there no support log entry for the failed backup attempt?

Saturday, October 13, 2007 7:37 PM
  • I'm tempted to merge your threads on backup together, but will leave them as they stand. As I replied to your other post, I believe that the problem relates to the network share and rights on that share. Additionally, a manual backup cannot be performed by a non-admin user.

It may be worthwhile for you to log one or more bugs (or find a similar one for these issues) on Connect as OneCare isn't behaving as you would expect. To  file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

Apologies for the multiple threads, but it initially seemed that the problems may have separate causes, so I didn't want to mix them up. I now think that the causes are the same, but I still think that each problem should be dealt with.

The issue is not rights to the network share - I can create, update, and delete files on the share whilst logged in as a non-admin user on the client machine.

I understand that you need admin rights for a manual backup, but the issue here is a scheduled backup (which you need admin rights to set up).

It seems that there must be an admin user logged on in order for a scheduled backup to work. That is all - you just have to log in as Admin and then "Switch User" back to a non-admin account, and everything starts working.

I will file a single bug report for all three issues.

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:12 PM
  • No need to apologize. :-)

Thanks for filing the bugs. If you've read my other replies on backup, you'd know that I've only dabbled in it, so I can't answer authoritatively on some issues, such as with the non-admin account setup. It would seem to me that the scheduled backup should work without an admin account logged in - that is, this would be my expectation.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:22 PM
  • I posted in another thread that I hadn't received the new build for the Beta, so I finally uninstalled and reinstalled the program.  I'm using the Linksys NAS200 on my network with a 250G Western Digital hard drive installed in the unit.  As in the above comment, I, too, am having the same problem.  My computer will back up to my network share when I am logged into my Vista admin account, but will not do so while logged into my non-admin account.  I am able to create files on the network drive from my non-admin account, so I know that it is not a read-write permissions issue.  If I am connected in the admin account and then switch to my non-admin user account, the system will back up to the drive.  I did not have a problem with the previous build. 

I used the cleanup tool to remove my previous version; and I ran Registry Mechanic after that (reboot each time).  I did the setup in my adminstrator account.

I only have the one laptop computer, so the idea of a hub is a bit abstract for me.  I have set up the admin account as the hub PC, and I notice that I am also given that option in the non-admin version on OneCare.  I haven't changed that.  Should the non-admin account be set up for "central backup device", or should it also be changed to the network drive?

If anyone has a suggestion ...

Thanks.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:12 AM
  • Since it didn't happen in the previous version, you should report this as a bug. See the post above for how to do that. I don't think you can configure backup from the limited user account, so that's probably not the solution. Backup is configured for the PC under the admin account, but it would appear that OneCare can't deal with authenticating the Share automatically. You might also want to contact support. 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Thanks, Steve.  I'll do that.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:29 PM