Mesh Folders on the Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, consider the following scenario:

I have two computers in my mesh, I create a folder on one (a), and tell it to synch with my Live Desktop and with the other machine (b) in my mesh. On (b), the folder gets created, but is automatically created on the desktop, but that's not really where I want it. If I move it, when I next double click on the folder name in my Mesh Folders on (b), it asks me where I want to synch to (defaulting to the desktop again). Telling it to use the recently moved folder doesn't seem to make a difference, and the only way I can get the folders to synch is to have the folder on the desktop.

So my question is this: how do I change that default?
    SL
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:52 AM

Answers

• There is a bug today where if you're already sync'ing the folder on that machine, the location can't be changed (properly).  You have to stop sync'ing, and then go through the process again to actually change the location (or move the folder).  It sounds like that's what you're hitting?

Richard
    Richard Chung [MSFT]
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:43 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Scøtt,

Unfortunately the UI doesn't allow you to configure where to sync the folder on *remote* machines.  You can work around this by going to each individual machine and using the sync dialog there (you can edit the location field).  There isn't any way to change the default location today.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Richard Chung [MSFT]
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, that's what I thought you might say, so, I've just gone through that process again:

1. Gone to my Live Mesh folders
    2. Right clicked the folder in question
    3. Changed synch options including changing the folder
    4. Hit ok, says it's synching

Now in the folder I've just pointed it to, my files aren't there. In my Live Mesh folders, if I right click the folder again and choose synch with this device, it then comes up asking where I want to synch to, again pointing to the folder on the desktop. I then have to browse to the folder I want to use (again) and press ok. This time it does synch and actually sets that folder as a Mesh folder.

So to get it working like that, I have to go through all of that, surely that seems rather convoluted...?

Or is this a bug?
    SL
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:26 PM
  • There is a bug today where if you're already sync'ing the folder on that machine, the location can't be changed (properly).  You have to stop sync'ing, and then go through the process again to actually change the location (or move the folder).  It sounds like that's what you're hitting?

Richard
    Richard Chung [MSFT]
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Sounds about right :) Ok, thanks for the heads up.
    SL
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:46 PM
  • I think this is an important scenario that Scott brings up. I envisage using Live mesh to make sure that everything in "My Documents" is consistent across multiple PCs but it seesm from this thread that that would not be possible because on the remote machine the synced folder would end up on the desktop.

Hmmm, not really what I want I don't think.

-Jamie
    http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson - If your question is answered, please mark as answered.
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Hi all,

I use this scenario today.  It is super helpful.  The tip/trick I have is that if I want a folder to map to a specific location, I don't "remotely" map it via the mapping dialog.  I add the folder to my mesh, then use Live Mesh Remote Desktop to connect to the other machine and map it manually.  I can place the folder anywhere I want, including taking "My documents" from one machine and mapping it to "My documents" on the other machine.  If the two folders have the same name, we'll merge the contents.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Todd

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:55 PM
  •  
    Jamie Thomson said:

I think this is an important scenario that Scott brings up. I envisage using Live mesh to make sure that everything in "My Documents" is consistent across multiple PCs but it seesm from this thread that that would not be possible because on the remote machine the synced folder would end up on the desktop.

Hmmm, not really what I want I don't think.

-Jamie

http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson - If your question is answered, please mark as answered.

Jamie, from what I've found, what you want to do is still possible, it just requires an extra step, in that you have to choose that folder, then try and synch, then choose it again, then it will actually synch to the folder you want.
    SL
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Todd Manion [MSFT] said:

Hi all,

I use this scenario today.  It is super helpful.  The tip/trick I have is that if I want a folder to map to a specific location, I don't "remotely" map it via the mapping dialog.  I add the folder to my mesh, then use Live Mesh Remote Desktop to connect to the other machine and map it manually.  I can place the folder anywhere I want, including taking "My documents" from one machine and mapping it to "My documents" on the other machine.  If the two folders have the same name, we'll merge the contents.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Todd

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thanks Todd...that seems a bit... errr...clunky... shall we say. Having said that I haven't actually tried it yet cos I'm at work supposed to be doing something else.

Damn live mesh...I haven't done any work for 2 days cos of this thing. Too many videos to watch, blogs to read, forums to post on yadda yadda... :)

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Actually, Scøtt, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

You should only have to do it once.  If you specify the location on the first time (for the local machine), things should sync to where you choose it to go.  *But* (and this is the bug), if you are already sync'ing to that machine, in order to change the location, you must stop sync'ing and then go through the flow again.
    Richard Chung [MSFT]
    • Edited by DevDuckEditor Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:20 PM spelling mistake
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Ahh, ok. Gotcha :)
    SL
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:16 PM
  • DevDuck said:

There is a bug today where if you're already sync'ing the folder on that machine, the location can't be changed (properly).  You have to stop sync'ing, and then go through the process again to actually change the location (or move the folder).  It sounds like that's what you're hitting?

Richard

Richard Chung [MSFT]

Ah, that explains what I encountered early this morning. So, no need for me to bug it, I guess. I had made a note to get back to that and provide repro steps when I was more awake!
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:22 PM
  • In follow up to this i have a question too:

Howcomes when you create a new folder on the Live Desktop, it places that on computers desktop too even when you didn't tell it to sync with that device?
    Sunshine
    Friday, April 25, 2008 12:40 PM
  • It creates a shortcut on the desktop, not the actual folder. Then when you double click it, it then asks you if you want to synch and asks you where to synch to.
    SL
    Friday, April 25, 2008 12:42 PM
  • Scøtt Lovegrove said:

It creates a shortcut on the desktop, not the actual folder. Then when you double click it, it then asks you if you want to synch and asks you where to synch to.

SL

Ahh yea right...shortcut it is indeed. Seems a bit overkill to me to place a shortcut on all devices when you choose not to sync. It means that after creating a new folder you will have to go delete those shortcuts from all desktops of the devices you don't wish to sync with. With just a few devices that's not such a biggie but how about if you have more than a few...

One can change the sync settings for a folder from Live Desktop later on too, well ehmm not at this moment it says it be available shortly, so i don't see why it would have to place those shortcuts on all by default.
    Sunshine
    Friday, April 25, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Sunshine [sunsh] said:

Ahh yea right...shortcut it is indeed. Seems a bit overkill to me to place a shortcut on all devices when you choose not to sync. It means that after creating a new folder you will have to go delete those shortcuts from all desktops of the devices you don't wish to sync with. With just a few devices that's not such a biggie but how about if you have more than a few...

One can change the sync settings for a folder from Live Desktop later on too, well ehmm not at this moment it says it be available shortly, so i don't see why it would have to place those shortcuts on all by default.
    Sunshine

I'm in agreement with you on this, Sunshine. It would seem that there should be another way to specify the Sync than to deal with the shortcut on the desktop.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 25, 2008 2:51 PM
  • My experience:

You create folders with same names with folders on your Live Desktop first, of course, in the location you want in your local computer (B).

Then right click on the folder and "add to mesh".

It will report something like "same name on mesh" and ask you for confirmation. you sould confirm "yes".

Very simple way that helps.

nnbe

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:12 AM
  • Just to add to all this seeing as I haven't seen this explicitly stated on the forums yet, if you want to only sync a couple of folders from your mesh with a particular computer mesh adds all the shortcuts to the desktop by default as expected. Double clicking the required folders allows you to change the sync options to sync with the device and then specify an alternate folder location which works as expected.

However, for the folders you double click and choose not to sync with the device, the shortcuts are deleted from the desktop but then reappear every time the machine is restarted. The same outcome happens by selecting another location and then selecting do not download, or even beginning the sync in another folder and then stopping it midway through, the shortcuts always reappear on the desktop.

The particular machine is running Vista32 Business.

Mike
    Monday, September 15, 2008 10:50 AM
  • Hi Mike,

In the past we'd seen a few customer requests to not have all those folder shortcuts on a device that isn't syncing the relevant folder.  If I understand you correctly, that's what you're suggesting - so I've added your vote for this to our internal list of customer suggestions.  Please let me know if I've misunderstood, though.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Thanks Ben,

Yes, with 22 (and growing) folders being synced across my teams and my machines my windows desktops arent quite so clean anymore! :) Although I could have thrown everything in a single folder our CAD design files and folders are freqrently being moved/renamed which at present requires the deleting/reuploading of the file in the same way Microsoft Groove used to so I decided to split the folders up into smaller chunks as we used to with Groove to stop multi gigabyte uploads/downloads every few weeks.

It would be fine if all the folder shortcuts appeared on the desktop initially but my preference would be that selecting "Do not sync with this device," would remove all traces of that folder from the machine unless the sync preference is changed again on either another machine or the live desktop. Even moving the folder shortcuts to an "unsynced mesh folders" folder at another location on the machine so they could still be locally selected to sync would help keep things tidy.

Many thanks,

Mike
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:08 PM
  • In the latest update (0.9.3424.31) we can set it (in Options) not to show the shortcuts on desktop for those folders that are not synched with that device. This suffices for the shortcuts, well for me it does anyway. Thanks Live Mesh Team. Let's hope in future we can change the default location (on the device) too (OP), so all will end up where we want them from the start.
    Sunshine
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Hi all,   Would you please expound on how to do this for a newbie Mesh user?

I have an office PC and a laptop and I'd like to keep the "my documents" folders sync'd.   I'd rather not have any folders on the desktop.   Ideally, I'd rather not put any data on the Live Desktop either, but that's not a requirement if it's more difficult / not possible.

Thanks!
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Hi all,   Would you please expound on how to do this for a newbie Mesh user?

I have an office PC and a laptop and I'd like to keep the "my documents" folders sync'd.   I'd rather not have any folders on the desktop.   Ideally, I'd rather not put any data on the Live Desktop either, but that's not a requirement if it's more difficult / not possible.

Thanks!

You'll find all that you need here: https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/howto/getstarted.aspx

What isn't mentioned is that to exclude the Live Desktop as a location for your files to sync to, you select the Sync properties for the shared folder on the Live Desktop and unselect that the folder will be shared to the Live Desktop.
    Please keep in mind that this is a beta, so keep a backup copy of your data. Loss of data is rare, but it can happen.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:26 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Steve.   I've read through that section and haven't found a description of how to do what I described.  It just looks like basic setup stuff.  

** edit ** I think I've figured it out. Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Let us know if you have a problem. The instructions are there, which is why I sent you to that link, with the exception of setting it to be P2P only (no Live Desktop sharing).
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:58 PM
  • It would be nice to feedback your findings, as I was struggle to find the answer to this question. I did not like the idea of having an important folder on the desktop its not good practice. I would prefer it to be in 'My Documents Folder' which I have relocated to a different drive for secure backup.

The Live Mesh desktop creates a folder on the desktop where I do not want it to be.

Step 1: Login and go to your Live Mesh Desktop, Double-click to Create new folder. New Folder dialogue box opens. Give a name you would like for your new folder, and click OK. Your newly created folder appears on your Live Mesh Desktop.

Step 2: Minimise your Live Mesh Window, so you can see your computer desktop. You will see the newly created folder on your desktop, it has a short-cut arrow.

Step 3: Double-Click, this will open a Synchronise Folder Box. Click the Browse button to choose where you would like this folder to be placed/relocated on your computer, put it in My Documents Folder for example, or placed on another drive. Click OK. The folder will disappear from your desktop to the new location you have chosen.

Now you can drop your files either directly to this folder, or on your Live Mesh desktop, and they will be safe within, My Documents Folder, or the location you have chosen.

Note: Each time you create a new folder in Live Mesh, it will always point to the new location by default.
    • Proposed as answer by Scubamaster Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:10 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Thanks for listing out the instructions in this thread.

Adding to step 3, you can also select to merge a new Live Mesh folder with an existing folder on the PC rather than create a new one.

The latest version of Live Mesh allows you to hide unsynchronized folders from the desktop. There have been numerous requests to allow the default for new sync folders to be a location other than the desktop of the PC.

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Friday, April 17, 2009 3:28 PM
  • When I try to do step 3 from Hi2care's solution, the Name box, Location box and Browse button are all greyed out and I can't change it. And yes I am the owner of the folder.

Any suggestion?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:23 PM
  • When I try to do step 3 from Hi2care's solution, the Name box, Location box and Browse button are all greyed out and I can't change it. And yes I am the owner of the folder.

Any suggestion?

The options will be greyed out if you check the properties *after* you have already accepted the default location for the folder to sync to.
    You will need to unsync the folder from that device and then from the Live Desktop change the settings to sync with that device again.
    It will show up as a faded Mesh folder icon on the Desktop of the device and you then double click to define the location for that folder to sync to.
    If the shortcut is darker blue when you double click it, the folder has already synchronized to that location.
    -steve
    • Proposed as answer by Scubamaster Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:10 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Thanks for this. It makes it clear.

I can also add the following:

1. If you have already synced your folder to the Desktop, right-click on it and choose Change Sync Settings. Set the computer you're currently working on to Never With This Device.

2. (this is to save downloading all the files again) Copy the folder from the Desktop to where you want it, e.g. My Documents.

3. You will now see the shortcut to the folder appear on the Desktop. Double click on it and change the Location to the full path of where the folder should be.

4. Click OK and you're done.
    • Proposed as answer by David Mee Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Thanks for this. It makes it clear.

I can also add the following:

1. If you have already synced your folder to the Desktop, right-click on it and choose Change Sync Settings. Set the computer you're currently working on to Never With This Device.

2. (this is to save downloading all the files again) Copy the folder from the Desktop to where you want it, e.g. My Documents.

3. You will now see the shortcut to the folder appear on the Desktop. Double click on it and change the Location to the full path of where the folder should be.

4. Click OK and you're done.

Finally!!  I have been tearing my hair out for weeks trying to sort this out!!  Seems daft it doesn't pop up a box and explicitly ask you - I hadn't even spotted that this was available until it was too late :-(  Can't see why we can't edit the location field and have the computer create the folder in the new location, and then copy all the existing stuff across :-(

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Hi, David. Yes, that seems like a shortcoming. The properties for a merge and the process can be easily overlooked in the current implementation.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:09 PM