Has OneCare Been Hacked and Disabled? RRS feed

• Question

• Four things lead me to be concerned:
    -My quarantine report says that it cannot clean, remove or quarantine two worms, klez and sobig.
    -In this quarantine report, there is a link for "why can't some software be cleaned" which goes to a blank page.
    -The links from the individual worms also go to black pages.
    -When I try to go to get OneCare help by right-clicking the icon in the system tray, it takes me to pseudopartner.com.

Am I missing something?  Or has no one noticed that Microsoft no longer has control of its antivirus program?

Saturday, October 13, 2007 11:42 AM

Answers

• An explanation of quarantine failed and possible resolutions can be found here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1548384&SiteID=2

One Care has not been compromised. The program is working as designed but the explanation of what, why, and how to resolve "quarantine failed" is inadequate but should be much improved in the next build update as should the help links. If you need support now use the links posted by Milo. I would also like to mention that the people who help on this forum are One Care users like yourself who volunteer their time for the benefit of the community, and are not Microsoft employees so you might want to keep that in mind when posting.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:52 PM
  • Rob, the help links and content are still a work in progress. I'm sure this will be resolved before the final release of 2.0. As far as sucking up goes, that may be a mis-perception. For the most part, those who help here are very enthusastic about One Care but I can see that enthusiasm being misconstrued sometimes.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:38 PM

All replies

• to see further on such scenario why and how this is happening, please avail of the direct assistance

For WLOC 2.0 user go here

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

If you are using the released 1.6 version for subscribers, support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:02 PM
  • Thanks for the MS-toady response, Milo.  Alas, my question is not "is there a work-around?" but rather "why should i trust a piece of security software that has clearly be compromised?"  Note that this is a problem which has been around for months and which MS has not been able to solve.
    Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:30 PM
  • An explanation of quarantine failed and possible resolutions can be found here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1548384&SiteID=2

One Care has not been compromised. The program is working as designed but the explanation of what, why, and how to resolve "quarantine failed" is inadequate but should be much improved in the next build update as should the help links. If you need support now use the links posted by Milo. I would also like to mention that the people who help on this forum are One Care users like yourself who volunteer their time for the benefit of the community, and are not Microsoft employees so you might want to keep that in mind when posting.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:52 PM
  • Jim:
    Thanks.  I understand now that the poor design of the interface is the problem with the quarantine warning.  Alas, my concern is more about the fact that the help function of OneCare leads to a spoofed site, and that the links from the warning lead to blank pages.  BTW, the word "toady" would generally refer to someone who is sucking up to an organization, not a member of the organization.
    Saturday, October 13, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Rob, the help links and content are still a work in progress. I'm sure this will be resolved before the final release of 2.0. As far as sucking up goes, that may be a mis-perception. For the most part, those who help here are very enthusastic about One Care but I can see that enthusiasm being misconstrued sometimes.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:38 PM
  •  Rob10128 wrote:
    Jim:
    Thanks.  I understand now that the poor design of the interface is the problem with the quarantine warning.  Alas, my concern is more about the fact that the help function of OneCare leads to a spoofed site, and that the links from the warning lead to blank pages.  BTW, the word "toady" would generally refer to someone who is sucking up to an organization, not a member of the organization.

The quarantine failed message and lack of good information about how to deal with items that fall into this situation is a hot topic. I remain hopeful that there will be improvements in both the message and the actions/logging in both the beta and the released 1.6.

I understand the word "toady" and can assure you that you will find no toady's amongst the moderators. Milo, a security MVP, has stepped up to help in the forums and correctly refers people to support for problems with malware with OneCare installed. He offers alternatives for help, too. I don't consider his answers to be "toady" responses, either.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:15 PM