none
Advise on Training Plan with MS Dynamics AX 2012 & MS SQL 2008/2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I am writing here looking for some advise with my training schedule.

I have experience working as an Information Security and e-Commerce Consultant during five years (1997-2003), as an IT Manager supporting and customizing a MS Dynamics SL application (2003-2005), and the last 7 years as an Entrepreneur (2005-Present), running my own company and mostly responsible for operations tasks (accounting, finance, procurement, payroll, etc).

At this moment I am planning to return to the IT field, working as a Business or Support Analyst for Microsoft Dynamics ERP/CRM applications, as I consider these roles combines my recent experience with business processes and operations, with my technical skills designing, implementing and supporting MS Dynamics SL and other IT solutions, from my years working as an IT Manager & Consultant. Later on, after gaining enough experience working as an Analyst, I would like to work as a Functional or Technical Consultant deploying ERP/CRM solutions.

My career goal in the short term, is to become a very proficient Business or Support Analyst for MS Dynamics CRM 2011/AX 2012 applications  (eventually I could get more exposure in the future with the extending features for these two applications).  I could be also be applying to positions as Business Analyst for companies that develop or provide Business Intelligence solutions that extract information from SQL databases, in order to improve business processes.

I am trying to focus my training efforts on courses that will give me the skills required for supporting and customizing Dynamics CRM 2011/AX 2012 applications (improving business processes, solving support issues, customizing views, reports, forms, entities, fields, and all the other types of customizations).

Last week I took a Dynamics 2011 CRM bootcamp and now I am working on getting certified with this product.  At the same time, I am also planning to take some training courses for Dynamics AX 2012, and MS SQL 2008 R2 (or MS SQL 2012 if this could give a competitive advantage on the job market).

Regarding the Dynamics AX 2012 training, I have received information from training companies that offer three different bootcamp courses: Developer Track, Financials Track, Trade and Logistics Track.
    I understand the Developer Track will give me an Edge as an IT professional in this field, however I don't have strong programming skills with C#, and I understand this is required for this specific course.

Now, regarding the SQL training schedule, I was planning to take the course 6231: Maintaining a MS SQL 2008 R2 Database, but I am aware the primary audience for this course are SQL DBAs.
    I think it could help more taking other SQL courses more focused on Business Intelligence, like any of these two: MS SQL Server BI Bootcamp (this one includes the 6234, 6235 & 6236 SQL courses), or 50511-The Microsoft Business Intelligence 2010 Stack.

I would appreciate any advise that you could give me any feedback related with my training plans.

Best regards,

Jesus Giraut

Jesus Giraut

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Jesus,

I applaud your ambition and your plan. You have decided to update your skills and are sticking to it.

With regards to SQL Server training, the SQL Server business intelligence courses will serve you well. If you like the bootcamp format for classes the one you mention is a good choice.  The BI training is very complimentary to the CRM product.  The thought process and methods you use to develop and customize reports have a lot of overlap. With regards to the version of SQL, the 2012 product was just recently released to manufacturing.  I do not know if all of the courseware for the product is released yet.  Learning on SQL 2008 will serve you well.  If you are interested, you can follow up with some online research about new features for SQL 2012.

You might find the 6231 class helpful also.  Since all of these products use SQL Server as the back-end, any knowledge will be helpful.

I cannot speak to the Dynamix AX product.  I do not have a financial "mind" at all.  If the developer course for AX is anything like the similar course for CRM 2011, you should not need really strong programming skills to get through the class. It might help you understand exactly how much you can do without programming, and what a bit of code could help you  do.

Best of luck!   Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.  If you find this post helfpul, please mark it as helpful or propose it as an answer.

Thanks,

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCITP, MCPD, MCDBA, MCSD, MSF, etc.

• Marked as answer by Jgiraut Friday, April 20, 2012 3:34 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 12:26 PM

All replies

• Bumping to top of question list

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Hi Jesus,

I applaud your ambition and your plan. You have decided to update your skills and are sticking to it.

With regards to SQL Server training, the SQL Server business intelligence courses will serve you well. If you like the bootcamp format for classes the one you mention is a good choice.  The BI training is very complimentary to the CRM product.  The thought process and methods you use to develop and customize reports have a lot of overlap. With regards to the version of SQL, the 2012 product was just recently released to manufacturing.  I do not know if all of the courseware for the product is released yet.  Learning on SQL 2008 will serve you well.  If you are interested, you can follow up with some online research about new features for SQL 2012.

You might find the 6231 class helpful also.  Since all of these products use SQL Server as the back-end, any knowledge will be helpful.

I cannot speak to the Dynamix AX product.  I do not have a financial "mind" at all.  If the developer course for AX is anything like the similar course for CRM 2011, you should not need really strong programming skills to get through the class. It might help you understand exactly how much you can do without programming, and what a bit of code could help you  do.

Best of luck!   Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.  If you find this post helfpul, please mark it as helpful or propose it as an answer.

Thanks,

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCITP, MCPD, MCDBA, MCSD, MSF, etc.

• Marked as answer by Jgiraut Friday, April 20, 2012 3:34 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 12:26 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Thank you for your help.

At this moment I am working on getting certified with Dynamics CRM 2011.  Once I receive this certification, I would proceed to train with Dynamics AX 2012, and later with MS SQL 2008 R2/2012.

Regarding the MS SQL training courses, as you mentioned in your answer, I was thinking in focusing on the Business Intelligence courses right now, as I think this course will help me more with my career goals with CRM 2011 and AX 2012.  Maybe later I could also take the 6231.

I haven't decided yet if I should do some of these training courses online or in classroom.  I consider the classroom trainings more helpful, but I have a limited budget for the training expenses.

In the meantime, I had deployed a lab environment to test and use MS CRM 2011 (the online trial version) and MS SQL 2008/2012.

I am still looking for a way to get a trial version of AX 2012.  I found some information about MSDN subscription on the msnd.microsoft.com web site, and one of the top levels offers MS Dynamics software for testing (the subscription is a little expensive, but it could be an option).  

I would appreciate If you could refer me to any person who could send me more information about these MSDN subscription levels, or if you know any company (MS partner) that could provide testing environment for MS CRM 2011 or MS AX 2012 for a monthly fee.

Best regards,

Jesus Giraut.

Jesus Giraut

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:41 PM