none
HDD Space issues - 115GB free but warning message and share shows only 5GB free RRS feed

• Question

• I have not had this problem before, but i have recently reinstalled WHS and PP1.

My setup is an 80gb boot disk, i then added a 250gb, then my 2x 500gb drives.

I used to have uTorrent download files to a folder on the D: partition (which is why i have never suffered from the data corruption issue), but since this problem with the 'drive' filling up i have created a new shared folder and i am using that, but i still continue to run out of space frequently (i presume because i am downloading faster that the data is migrtated to the other drives).

But my concern is that 115gb free is a fair amount of data in my view.

Do i need to use the LZreallocator tool?  That sounds like the answer from the few threads i have read.  Is there any risk to my data integrity using LZreallocator?

Thanks all!
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:02 PM

All replies

• MikeCompton said:

I have not had this problem before, but i have recently reinstalled WHS and PP1.

My setup is an 80gb boot disk, i then added a 250gb, then my 2x 500gb drives.

I used to have uTorrent download files to a folder on the D: partition (which is why i have never suffered from the data corruption issue), but since this problem with the 'drive' filling up i have created a new shared folder and i am using that, but i still continue to run out of space frequently (i presume because i am downloading faster that the data is migrtated to the other drives).

But my concern is that 115gb free is a fair amount of data in my view.

Do i need to use the LZreallocator tool?  That sounds like the answer from the few threads i have read.  Is there any risk to my data integrity using LZreallocator?

Thanks all!

Did you create the new shared folder through the Console?  Can you logon to the server desktop, go to Disk Management and see how much free space is on each drive?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:06 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Did you create the new shared folder through the Console? 

Yes i created the share using the console.

kariya21 said:

Can you logon to the server desktop, go to Disk Management and see how much free space is on each drive?

Yes - what am i looking for???
    • Edited by MikeCompton Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:30 PM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:28 PM
  • MikeCompton said:

Yes i created the share using the console.

Yes - what am i looking for???

Sorry, I should have explained. :)

Once you logon to the server desktop, click Start, Run.  In the run box type compmgmt.msc.  Then select Disk Management.  There you will see each drive listed individually.  Please list the total space and free space for each drive shown (and include the drive letters for the ones that have drive letters).

NOTE:  Normally you need to be careful about accessing the server desktop because you can get yourself in a world of hurt if you don't understand how WHS works.  However, what I am asking you to do is perfectly safe.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:39 PM