New case recommendation for WHS? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been wanting to replace my WHS case for some time now. Its one of my old pc cases which is noisy and has no blanking plates on the front where my cd and floppy disk drive use to be. I'm now going to have to position my WHS in the lounge as the current room its in will be occupied by my new housemate. I was hoping you could tell me what cases you have for you WHS? The criteria the new case must have are:-
    Midi Tower
    ATX board
    Minimum 4 Hard disk drive bays
    Quiet if not silent fan cooling system

I stumbled across the Lian Li B25 the other day. It seems perfect for what i want, but it costs more than the parts that i'll be putting inside it! Here it is from xcase. Looks amazing though. Wouldn't mind putting that in my living room! In fact i wouldn't mind that for my gaming rig!! But £129 before tax!!!
    I was hoping not to spend over £60 for the case so any cases you know that fit the criteria and the price. Please let me know.
    Also i am thinking of replacing the PSU. It has the original PSU in the case which if i'm not mistaken is 500W PSU. Overkill for a WHS right? Was hoping someone could recommend a good efficient 80+ PSU for me. How much power will it need? 350W?
    Spec of WHS is:-
    P4 3 Ghz
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    Intel Motherboard (sorry can't remember specifics) with on board Graphics
    1 IDE 3 SATA HDD making a total of 1.6TB
    1 PCI SATA controller
    1 DVD-ROM Drive

Thanks,

• Edited by stereoscreamer Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:34 PM Add RAM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:23 PM

All replies

• I'm using the Antec nsk6580.  More or less your standard looking case.  I got it because it can conveniently hold five 3.5" internal hard drives.  In addition it has four external 5.25" bays - for DVD drive, backplane, eSata front panel, 3.5 floppy, etc, etc...
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:54 PM
  • I have been looking for a new case for my WHS.

My main criteria are:
    At least 9 5.25inch external bays ... space for 3 hotswap 5x3 drive bays
    Deep enough for clean SATA cable run behind hotswap bays.
    Not too big
    Inexpensive

Other criteria:
    No side window or stupid lights
    Good cooling
    Filters on input fans

Silverstone KL02
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=672048

Coolermaster Centurion 590
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=LN23291

The Silverstone has a hotswap bay ... almost, the hotswap backplane connectors are bought separately.

Can't decide between them
    • Edited by Asposium Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:36 PM change text
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Have found these two PSUs Antec EarthWatts 380W 80Plus at around £40 and Compucase Green Earth 350W 80plus at £27. I'm more and more likely to purchase an efficient PSU but how do i find out how much power my current rig is drawing? Is their free power monitoring software i can download? 350W 80Plus PSU should be good enought for a WHS, right?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:17 PM
  • An energy monitor such as this will measure power usage

http://www.reuk.co.uk/buy-KILL-A-WATT.htm

A 350W PSU should be enough, but clearly depends on future load.

Also consider the corsair PSUs
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:33 PM
  • I built mine with the Coolermaster Centurion 590. Picked it up from Newegg along with an Antec earthwatts 430w for a total of $85. Couldn't beat the price for a 9 x 5.25 bay case and a certified 80+ psu. I like te case. It has plenty of room so far and was easy to install the components in. The fans included are quiet too, so I didn't have to spend any additional money chaning these out. 
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:24 PM
  • can you post some internal type shots to see how it "all fits in"?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Plenty of pictures at Newegg. PSU goes at bottom. It comes with a 3in4 cage so if you add two more cages you can fit 12 hard drives.

Coolermaster Centurion 590

• Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:25 AM convert link for others' convenience
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I just built a WHS using this case http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=T925-4000 and was very pleased.

I also added a drive bay cage to the mix:  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=K450-1113

Tom

Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:47 PM
  • I'll second the suggestion for the CM Centurion case.
    Experience:  I built my Media Center server in a Centurion 5, and haven't regretted it.  Huge inside (for a midtower), entire front panel is a filtered intake, very quiet included fans, and lots-o-drive bays.  It even looks rather classy - it's not a 'blingy' case at all.  That line is also quite budget-friendly (and, amazingly, without being a POS.)
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:09 PM