Connector on one computer shows critical RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop recently started showing another computer on the network with a critical error.  The error says "<Computername> has antispyware software turned off or out of date."  When I open the Console it shows Network Healthy and green.  The connectors on both my desktop and the desktop that is called out with the prolbem show green.  The security center on the computer with the supposed error also shows everything working.  All computers are running Microsoft Security Essentials.

What could be causing one computer to be seeing an error when no other computers nor the Console so the error?

Thanks.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:28 AM

All replies

• More information would be helpful.

• What operating system does the computer that's reported as having no AV installed run?
    • Are you sure the AV is turned on, and not disabled?
    • Is the computer turned on, or does this alert only happen when it's off?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 28, 2009 3:28 PM
  • More information would be helpful.

• What operating system does the computer that's reported as having no AV installed run?
    • Are you sure the AV is turned on, and not disabled?
    • Is the computer turned on, or does this alert only happen when it's off?

The computer that is reporting no anti-spyware  (but only one computer things this) is on Win 7 Home Premium.  The one computer that thinks the anti-spyware is not running Win 7 Professional.

Very sure.  Both the Microsot Security Eseentials itself and the action center on that computer shows there are no problems.

Happens when turned on.  Both computers are kept on pretty my 24/7.

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:34 AM
  • I am having the exact same issues on a Windows 7 Home Premium machine.

Vista Ultimate machine with same version Security Essentials installed does not display this error.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Does this message appear and disappear?
    If so, this could be during an update of the Antispyware software, which requires the components to be reloaded. During that reload the security center is alerted, that something is wrong and reports this to WHS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Does this message appear and disappear?
    If so, this could be during an update of the Antispyware software, which requires the components to be reloaded. During that reload the security center is alerted, that something is wrong and reports this to WHS.
    Olaf

No, it stays red all the time.  I have seen what you describe happen, but it clears out.

Now all three computers (2- Win 7 Professional, 1- Win 7 Home Premium) have a red connector icon, but when opening the Windows Home Server Console, it shows Network Healthy.

Really out of idea on this one.  First problem I have had with WHS in many years.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:27 PM
  • To reduce the disturbance factor of this for the PC users, you could disable the network status messages in the context menu of the Connector icon on each workstation but the one you are using.
    Regarding the fact itself I have no further clue, unfortunately.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:07 PM