How do I Uninstall Windows Server. RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, I download the Windows Server from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/. After installing it on my laptop,  it only loads in Command Prompt. 

I would like to uninstall it because I do not know how to use CMD prompt.

Please help.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:06 PM

All replies

• Can you provide step by step on how to do that?

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:12 PM

• Set the BIOS to boot from a disc and put the Windows Server 2019 install disc into your disc drive. Get to the part of the installation where it asks you to specify which partition to install the OS to. Delete the partition the existing install of Server is located on and exit out of the installer. Take the install disc out of the drive. Then when you restart your PC it will boot to whatever other OS you have installed.
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:22 PM
  • Hi

Please try below steps

1. Before you go for re-installation of Operating system check what version of operating system you installed by giving below command in the command prompt which you are seeing.                         
    winver

It will display the operating system version.

If you have installed the Windows server core or getting the output as server core for above command  then you have to rebuild your machine from scratch ie re-installation so you can follow the below steps to do so

1. Insert the installation disk or flash drive.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Boot the sytem with windows Installation media (Make sure to set your first boot device or boot order to Installation media).
    4. Just follow the on-screen directions to complete the installation.

Else if you have installed Operating system other than server core .You can switch between server core and GUI version using  below steps

1. Once you login to server ,you are  having command prompt window  in that type powershell and hit enter.
    2. Now you are in power shell console.
    3. To switch back to Full GUI mode, open a Power Shell Console as Administrator and execute these commands:
    Install-WindowsFeature
    Server-Gui-Shell, Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra –Restart

4. Then wait for reboot.

5. Now Your machine will now boot back with the full Windows GUI.

Regards,

Ramabadran Vasudevan

Please don't forget to mark Propose as answer, to help others who have the same issue.

If you feel this content is beneficial , vote it .

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:56 PM
  • Hi 

I hope the above recommendations provided by me answered your queries.

If you have any feedback, Please let me know to support you further.

Regards,

Ramabadran Vasudevan

Please don't forget to mark Propose as answer, to help others who have the same issue.If you feel this content is beneficial , vote it .

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:12 AM
  • Note that the answers here are not uninstalling Windows Server, as the title of your post is asking for.  Unless you configured your installation of Windows Server as a second boot option, thereby leaving whatever OS was already installed on the system, the instructions provided here will give you a clean installation of Windows Server and nothing else.  If you did not configure a dual boot, and the only boot option you have is for your current installation of Windows Server Core, then whatever was on your system before you started is gone.  There is no "uninstall" option that returns you to the condition the laptop was in before you started.

tim

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:53 PM
  • Hi Tim,

This is the problem you explained has happened with my system. The OS(Window 10) has gone. please help me in how to recover to previous state and how to uninstall window server or how I can set it as a second boot option. Thanks in advance

Regards

Radhika

Friday, December 20, 2019 1:53 AM
  • Hi Dave Patrick

Thanks for the help. I have one quick question. Can I recover my previous state by any other method. As by using the above method I won't be able to recover my basic Microsoft apps like Microsoft Office.

Regards,

Radhika

Friday, December 20, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Did you delete Windows 10 and need partition recovery?

Were you attempting dual boot?

Were you attempting clean install (delete all partitions making an unallocated drive) then install Windows server?

Friday, December 20, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Nah I didn't deleted Window 10. Actually I was trying to install window server 2019 on VMware but it was not working and then unfortunately I tried to install Window Server 2019 as it on my laptop. though server got installed but window is not working at all. 
    Friday, December 20, 2019 2:30 AM
  • This is a link on dual boot that you may be able to apply to Windows server:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2108-dual-boot-windows-10-windows-7-windows-8-a.html

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

On the bottom of each post there is: 

Propose as answer = answered the question

On the left side of each post:  Vote = a helpful post

Friday, December 20, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Thank you. Got my Win 10 product key. will try to recover it now.

Regards

Radhika

Friday, December 20, 2019 3:33 AM
  • "Scroll to the Service Manager server program and click Remove. "

That will remove Service Manager.  It will NOT have anything to do with removing the operating system.

tim

Saturday, February 22, 2020 3:31 PM