Dataset object RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Rafik,

You responded to my query on another group about email data(sync) transfer where you recommended an ftp dump. Our remote sites have an added complication that the working pc is separate and not networked to the communication PC, files will need to be transferred by a flash drive to the comms pc, hence the email idea...

Would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction to create the Dataset object as you mentioned in your reply to Dieter. I have downloaded Orcas Beta1 hoping that this would make my task easier.

It would be great if Sync services can solve this problem that has been around forever.

Kce

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 10:36 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The dataset type has a lot of very useful members. The ReadXml() and GetXML() methods are very useful if you want to translate the dataset type to text format and store it into a file or even as the body of the email. Once the content is dumped into a file, you can compress it and pass it along. Will that work for you?

Thanks

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Thanks Rafik,

At the moment I need a quick method (lazy..) to generate the dataset object (using Orcas?) so that I can see the size and prove the concept ie cost of transmission before I commit and invest the serious effort and also before I commit the client to the data transmission costs.

At the moment I dont know Up from Down, so your help would be greatly appreciated, if possible a few simple steps that I can take to generate the database object?

Thanks,

KCE

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Hello KCE,

The following steps should get you started creating a dataset:

1. On the Data menu, click Show Data Sources.

2. In the Data Sources window, click Add New Data Source to start the Data Source Configuration Wizard.

3. Select Database on the Choose a Data Source Type page, and then click Next.

4. On the Choose your Data Connection page select or create a data connection to your database.

5. Click Next on the Save connection string to the Application Configuration file page.

6. Expand the Tables node on the Choose your Database Objects page.

7. Select the tables you want in your dataset, and then click Finish.

The DataSet is added to your project and the tables appear in the Data Sources window.

hope that helps

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Thanks Steve,

Very clear!, obviously my post was misleading-  I was really looking for a way to create the dataset of the changes to the client data to be sent to the server for update.

Hope you can help,

Kerry

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:24 AM
  • Hi Kerry,

You can use the GetChanges method on the dataset in the client to return another dataset that only contains new or modified records.

hope that helps...
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Thanks again Steve,

Apologies if I sound dumb.

So the Getchanges method is part ,or used by,  Sync services ?  All of the Sync Services examples seem to be for a direct connection to the server or a service. Where can I step into this process, isolate and look at the 'changes dataset'

Kerry

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:14 AM