• Question

• when onecare starts the tune-up i keep getting this error

"INF Install Failure. Reason: Access is denied"

Monday, September 29, 2008 9:43 AM

Answers

•  

update:

i uninstall onecare and download a clean copy from the onecare.com site

then right click on the onecaresetup.exe file and select run as admin..

and tested it out and there appears no problems ..and everythign is working

thanks

~Brian

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:39 AM

All replies

•  

update:

i uninstall onecare and download a clean copy from the onecare.com site

then right click on the onecaresetup.exe file and select run as admin..

and tested it out and there appears no problems ..and everythign is working

thanks

~Brian

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:39 AM
  • Thanks for reporting back with your solution and I'm glad to read that all is now well.

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:29 PM
  • okay just wanted to report that error is back again

Monday, October 6, 2008 5:27 AM
  • Sorry to read that. I suggest contacting support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 6, 2008 7:02 PM
  • There are several bug reports about this problem that specify “Remove unnecessary files” as the tune-up component responsible. One of these bug reports specifies that Disk Cleanup halts on a particular file: “Cleaning: C:\C:\Windows\system32\occache.dll,-0170”. This particular file is known to have caused display problems for Disk Cleanup with IE 7 Beta 3 because it was unregistered. Try registering the file: Click Start, then Run (XP) or Start (Vista) and type the following: “regsvr32 occache.dll” (without the quotation marks). Then click OK (XP) or press Enter (Vista). If you’re using IE 7 Beta 3, you should update Internet Explorer.

GreginMich

Monday, October 6, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Okay so I am running vista and did the follow command (“regsvr32 occache.dll” (without the quotation marks). in run, but then got this popup box

any ideas?

Monday, October 6, 2008 10:59 PM
  • My idea was that if occache.dll was registered it wouldn’t appear in the cleanup list and wouldn’t snag the process, but we’re not sure that it’s this particular file that’s causing the problem on your machine. So if that didn’t work, you should run Windows Update to make sure that all of your Internet Explorer files and system files are up to date and registered. If that doesn’t help, then you’ll have to go ahead and contact support.

GreginMich

Monday, October 6, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Thanks for your help... But remember I am running OneCare and vista so they both make sure my windows updates is current but I checked anyways everything is updated like it should be.

GreginMich wrote:

My idea was that if occache.dll was registered it wouldn’t appear in the cleanup list and wouldn’t snag the process, but we’re not sure that it’s this particular file that’s causing the problem on your machine. So if that didn’t work, you should run Windows Update to make sure that all of your Internet Explorer files and system files are up to date and registered. If that doesn’t help, then you’ll have to go ahead and contact support.

GreginMich

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 12:07 AM
  • After many test I have figure out why this is happing and the fix...

The problem is (UAC) aka User Account Control in vista

Not sure why UAC is the problems but I found once turn off

The error doesn’t appear again

Also try support and never again will I call

I felt like a yo-yo

I went from one care support to vista support back to one care support

They really need to stop and listen to the client as I kept telling them it’s okay I am tired of the vista popups anyways so leaving UAC off will make me happy

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:19 PM
  • I have experienced this same error, however since this is a shared computer I do not want to turn off UAC.

I contacted support via email and was instructed to create a new admin account and use it to start a tune up. I did and the error did not occur. I then deleted this new admin account and ran a tune up on my orginal account and the error did not occur.

I rebooted a couple of times and so far so good. I am running a complete tune up now and will play around with it some more once that is done. If the error occurs again I will let you know, other wise, consider my issue resolved.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:07 AM
  • Hi, what do you mean by create a new admin account? please details how you do it. :)
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 12:23 AM
  • Hello Arabella, open Control Panel>User Accounts>Create a New User Account, select a name for the account, then you will be given a choice of designating the new user a "Standard" user or "Administrator". Select "Administrator".
    Jim
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:49 PM
  • I have same problem: How do i turn off my User Account Control in vista:
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:53 PM
  • I have same problem: How do i turn off my User Account Control in vista:

Turning off UAC is only one suggestion solution for the problem. The cause of the problem in your case may be different. I recommend that you contact OneCare support for this issue.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:18 PM