OCS2007 and LCS2005 in two differents forest RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

i have actually LCS2005 enterprise deploy in the A forest.

I just also deploy MOCS2007 in another "B" forest (the schema is updated only in this forest).

There is a trust between the 2 main domain of each forest.

Both are working well.

I also deployed a EDGE Server in the B forest, in order to communicate with LCS2005. But i can't see any user of LCS2005 from a user of MOCS2007.

How to communicate (IM) between the 2 servers ?

thx

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 12:59 PM

Answers

• There isn't a relationship between SIP domains and AD forests.  You can install a single OCS server and configure it to support 50 SIP domains or you can install 20 pools across an organization and use only 1 SIP domain.

The clients will locate their LCS/OCS server via the SRV records that are in place (or the Communicator configuration if you aren't using SRV records).  Once they are directed to the proper pool they will be authenticated.  If they are logged with a different user account than the one assigned to that SIP address (and you aren't in a central/resource forest model) they will be prompted for credentials.

Since you're sharing the same SIP domain across the forests, you'll want to use a manaual configuration for the test users that are accessing OCS.  Once you put OCS into production (at which time you'll presumably have LCS and OCS in the same forest) you'll be able to point your SRV record at OCS and let it act as a Director for LCS users.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:26 PM

All replies

• You'll need an LCS 2005 Access Proxy in forest A.  Once that is installed you'll just configure federation between the SIP domains.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:34 PM
  • OK, thanks

Another question : one sip domain can be hosted in only one forest ? Or if Communicator don't find a user, he can go see on the federation to find it ?

Because we export some of the users from our production forest (lcs2005) in the test forest (mocs2007) as contacts. So, on both side, i have users with the same sipdomain (as normal user in lcs2005 and as contact in mocs2007).
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:17 AM
  • There isn't a relationship between SIP domains and AD forests.  You can install a single OCS server and configure it to support 50 SIP domains or you can install 20 pools across an organization and use only 1 SIP domain.

The clients will locate their LCS/OCS server via the SRV records that are in place (or the Communicator configuration if you aren't using SRV records).  Once they are directed to the proper pool they will be authenticated.  If they are logged with a different user account than the one assigned to that SIP address (and you aren't in a central/resource forest model) they will be prompted for credentials.

Since you're sharing the same SIP domain across the forests, you'll want to use a manaual configuration for the test users that are accessing OCS.  Once you put OCS into production (at which time you'll presumably have LCS and OCS in the same forest) you'll be able to point your SRV record at OCS and let it act as a Director for LCS users.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:26 PM