NIC problems after installation RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the Windows Home Server on my new WD 80 Gig SATA Drive and everything works fine except for the audio and the NIC.  I also have a WD 250 Gig IDE drive with multiple partitions and multiple OS's.

My first priority is to get the NIC working on my Biostar K8M800 w/Socket AM2 and a AMD Sempron 2800 CPU with 1.5 Gb of RAM.  I read through the forum posts I could find, and they all stated to use another NIC to get online and then update the drivers.  The only other NIC that I have access to is a Netgear 311 Wireless NIC and when I installed it and the CD that came with it, it worked for a minute or two and then would lose the network connection.

I looked at the System Information application and noticed that this WHS shows as Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition SP2.  I also have Windows Server 2003 SBE installed and it works fine with both NICs.  So I tried to use the driver from it with WHS, and I still got an error stating that the "Device cannot start" in the Device Manager.  I am pretty much at a standstill if I can't get a NIC to work as this is supposed to be a Server. 

I just find it interesting that it works fine in Windows Server 2003, but not in WHS.  Any suggesstions?

Friday, September 21, 2007 1:20 AM

All replies

• Evening,

Firstly, as it's a server, WHS doesn't officially support audio and there is no need for it.

Your NIC,if compatable with Server 2003, then it will be suitable for WHS. The standard recommended for WHS is to use hardware that has 2003 drivers.

As you have an internet connection, have you checked that Biostar have the 2003 drivers for it?

(Have just checked and it seems Biostar don't support 2003 for the Lan adapter)

The alternative, if you know who manufactures the lan chips, is to check the manufacturers site for original drivers.

HTH,

Colin

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:30 PM
  • I would second the other poster's recommendation to disable sound.

Regarding your network adapter, check the Biostar web site, but I think they use a Realtek network chip. You might be able to get a driver from Realtek. (Make sure you get the right one for your chip.)
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 1:28 AM