WHS password-less shares RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS running fine, but I need to be able to access all the shares without a user/password.  I have a media center that supports samba but not with credentials.  I am aware of  the risks and alternatives, but after assessing the situation I want to make the shares on my WHS machine completely open so I can access them without any worry of hassle.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 1:18 AM

All replies

• I have WHS running fine, but I need to be able to access all the shares without a user/password.  I have a media center that supports samba but not with credentials.  I am aware of  the risks and alternatives, but after assessing the situation I want to make the shares on my WHS machine completely open so I can access them without any worry of hassle.
    Enable the Guest account on the server (and don't give it a password), then set up the permissions for the Guest account.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 1:28 AM
  • Tried that I still get access denied from folders and files created by programs on the the server IE utorrent.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 2:41 AM
  • It depends a lot on the particular combination of software, but one thing that you may be experiencing is access denied due to the file already being locked by another process. The first thing to try is to shut down the torrent client on your server completely . No seeding, no downloading, not running at all. Then try again.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 3:29 AM