Control-Alt-Delete RRS feed

• Question

• <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I am evaluating WHS on Sun Virtual Box – Windows 7 64-bit Host System.

I have completed the install of WHS-processed the initial ‘Welcome” screens.

I now am asked to press Control-Alt-Delete, which only activates on Windows 7 not on WHS in VB.

What do I do? I have installed connector, and it has located the Server with no problem, but I need to access to set up user names etc.

I would appreciate your urgent response, as Major decisions rest on my accepting this software-or Linux.

Robert A Williams,

Ropate
    Monday, March 8, 2010 1:28 AM

Answers

• I am evaluating WHS on Sun Virtual Box – Windows 7 64-bit Host System.

I now am asked to press Control-Alt-Delete, which only activates on Windows 7 not on WHS in VB.

What do I do? I have installed connector, and it has located the Server with no problem, but I need to access to set up user names etc.

I would appreciate your urgent response, as Major decisions rest on my accepting this software-or Linux.

Robert A Williams,

Ropate
    That's happening because you're running it in a VM (which, by the way, is unsupported).  You need to find whatever key combination Virtual Box uses to pass a CTRL-ALT-DELETE press through to the VM.  In any event, you should be able to use the Connector software from your client to set up user names/permissions/etc.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 1:50 AM

All replies

• I am evaluating WHS on Sun Virtual Box – Windows 7 64-bit Host System.

Robert A Williams,

Ropate
    That's happening because you're running it in a VM (which, by the way, is unsupported).  You need to find whatever key combination Virtual Box uses to pass a CTRL-ALT-DELETE press through to the VM.  In any event, you should be able to use the Connector software from your client to set up user names/permissions/etc.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Thanks for your lack of interest. You have really helped me make up my mind -- LINUX
    Ropate
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Thanks for your lack of interest. You have really helped me make up my mind -- LINUX
    Ropate
    I have no problem helping people with Windows Home Server.  Your problem is not with Windows Home Server.  Your CTRL-ALT-DELETE problem is with Virtual Box.  Try going to their website and find out what the keystroke combination is for that application.  Or, better yet, forget logging into the server desktop - which is unsupported anyway - and just open the WHS Console from the client (which you already installed).  See the WHS home page for details on how to do that.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Actually, Kariya21 gave you the answer you came for. You need to consult the documentation for Virtual Box and find out what key combination on the host will send a Ctrl-Alt-Del through to the guest.

But for creating users, and indeed for most server management functions, you should use the Windows Home Server console. You can learn about how to use Windows Home Server by consulting the product pages on the Microsoft web site.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:42 AM
  • I have stated that connecter connected. However the software requested that I set up user name to access - which, according to the software, requires log on to WHS direct. Could find no way through connecter.
    There is no C-A-D alt that VirtualBox Pages show. Anyhow I have no intention of evaluating any software except through a Virtual Server, I am tired of having to telephone Microsoft to re-authenticate my software every time I re-install.
    I never said the problem was with Home Server, I sought a user response on how the situation might be resolved, but it seems that this forum is only there for Microsoft answers, not market place solutions; another reason to use Linux Servers, their solutions are market based not proprietory based.
    Ropate
    Monday, March 8, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Hi,

You don't need to log into Window Home Server to set it up. It can be done from the first installation of the connector software.

For your CTRL-ALT-DEL problem you need to press hostkey+DEL  you can see this faq for more info:
    http://superuser.com/questions/116946/how-do-i-press-ctrlaltdelete-in-virtualbox

Running Windows Home Server negates some of the benefits such as drive extender and you might want to consider running Windows Home Server on bare metal. 

Good luck,
    Al
    --
    Monday, March 8, 2010 10:59 AM