Can WHS 2011 Read Data on Pool Drives Created in WHS v.1? RRS feed

• Question

• I realize that you cannot upgrade directly from WHS v.1 to WHS 2011, and that driveextender has been removed from WHS 2011, but will WHS 2011 be able to read the hard drives and data therein that were originally created in WHS v.1?
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:34 PM

Answers

• Yes and no. Yes, in that data on your drives in V1 was just files in a standard NTFS file system. The Drive Extender magic worked off the "tombstones" on the primary data partition (D:\Shares\etc.), which contains information about where the actual files are stored. No, in that Windows Home Server 2011 knows nothing about how data was stored in V1, and will not automatically "import" the shares from V1.

All that said, the way data is spread across your drives in V1 will make it hard to use the drives directly in Windows Home Server 2011. Your safest strategy is to build a parallel 2011 server, then copy data one share at a time to that, removing drives from the V1 server and adding them to server storage on the 2011 server as you go. Almost as safe is to shut your V1 server down, pull drives, and copy from [driveletter]:\DE\Shares\etc. to the appropriate share in your 2011 server. Then add that drive to server storage.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Theo van Elsberg Monday, June 20, 2011 7:30 PM
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:46 PM

All replies

• No, but you can attach each of your old WHS1 drives to a computer and manually move the data that way. Make sure you are showing "Hidden folders" or you will not see the data location - the total of your data will be split across a number of your old drives dependant on your original configuration.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Yes and no. Yes, in that data on your drives in V1 was just files in a standard NTFS file system. The Drive Extender magic worked off the "tombstones" on the primary data partition (D:\Shares\etc.), which contains information about where the actual files are stored. No, in that Windows Home Server 2011 knows nothing about how data was stored in V1, and will not automatically "import" the shares from V1.

All that said, the way data is spread across your drives in V1 will make it hard to use the drives directly in Windows Home Server 2011. Your safest strategy is to build a parallel 2011 server, then copy data one share at a time to that, removing drives from the V1 server and adding them to server storage on the 2011 server as you go. Almost as safe is to shut your V1 server down, pull drives, and copy from [driveletter]:\DE\Shares\etc. to the appropriate share in your 2011 server. Then add that drive to server storage.

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Theo van Elsberg Monday, June 20, 2011 7:30 PM
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

I want to be sure that I understand what you are saying here so pardon me if it seems repetitive.

I have a Version 1 WHS with 2 internal disks -- Disk 0 = 80GB and Disk 1 = 1.5 TB.   In addition, there are two USB drives attached -- a 300GB that is part of the storage pool and a 400GB that is not.   The shared folders are all marked for duplication which I assume is happening on the 300 GB disk.

If I swap out the primary disk with a new 2 TB drive and install WHS 2011 on that, what will happen to the secondary and extended disks?   Will the install automatically wipe the second disk and include it in the storage pool?  Can I just disconnect it during the installation the reconnect and copy my shares onto the new server as you describe?  Of course I don't know where the shares are physically, I guess I'm just assuming they are on the secondary drive.  I don't have an external SATA case and I'm trying to do this without any unnecessary spending.

I'm also a bit fuzzy about the elimination of the drive extender service.   From your post, it seems that it only applies to external drives; that internal drives can still be added to the pool.  Is that correct?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:42 PM
  • WHS2011 install should only format your first disk (on which you install the OS). There is no concept of a storage pool in WHS 2011 so each drive/partition is allocated a separate drive letter and you tell WHS where to put the data via the Dashboard Move Folder wizard.

What I would suggest is to disconnect all disks with any WHS 1 data on them and install on your new drive. This will create a C: partition for your OS and D:, on which your new shares will be created. Then connect up your old WHS1 drive which contains the data you want (if duplication was on for all shares it should be on both of your old drives so it should not matter which you use). Then copy your old data to your new shares. After all that and you have checked for the integrity of the data you have transfered, you can add the drive to server storage (which will format it). Check again for data integrity and you can then add your second WHS1 disk as either server storage or as server backup. It sounds as though you do not have a lot of data so I suggest the first disk you play with (as above) is the 300GB and then use your 1.6TB to back up your server/data.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:58 PM
  • After all that and you have checked for the integrity of the data you have transfered, you can add the drive to server storage (which will format it). Check again for data integrity and you can then add your second WHS1 disk as either server storage or as server backup. It sounds as though you do not have a lot of data so I suggest the first disk you play with (as above) is the 300GB and then use your 1.6TB to back up your server/data.

1. Can I restore a the backup of the WHS1 shares to the new server. I have another external drive to which I have very occasionally backed up the shares (so seldomly that I forgot all about it until now). Can I do a new backup and use it to restore my shares to the new server?
    2. When you say "server backup" is that the same as in WHS1, IOW only the shares?
    3. Also, is folder duplication still included in WHS 2011 or will I have to backup to something else more regularly?
    Thanks for the assistance; I now see that I should have been paying more attention during the Vail beta.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:09 PM
  • The answer to all three of your questions is no.

Server backup in Windows Home Server 2011 is the same as server backup in Windows Server 2008 R2: the dashboard backup features are a wrapper around the OS functionality, so the old backup disks won't be recognized as backup disks that can be restored. You can still get at the data on the old backup disks since it's just files in folders, but you will have to copy the data by hand to your new server. One good thing about server backup in Windows Home Server 2011 is that there's now an approved way to do a bare metal restore of your server.

And duplication and all related features (i.e. Drive Extender) was removed 8 months ago, more or less.

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Server backup in Windows Home Server 2011 is the same as server backup in Windows Server 2008 R2: the dashboard backup features are a wrapper around the OS functionality...

Hmmm..

It's been quite a while since I had to get involved with either SBS or bare Windows Server so I'm pretty much in the dark about what that means.   I realize that it wiill/should be invisible to the end user when in operation but right now it's hard to make the conceptual jump.  

I liked having all the shares duplicated automatically and I really don't care about backing up the client backups.  Can the server backup be configured to ignore them?

Is the server backup compressed or just copied?  IOW, does the secondary disk have to be a multiple of the primary or can it be the same size and hold multiple backups?  

Can things be selectively restored from the server backup?

Friday, June 24, 2011 6:58 PM
  • I liked having all the shares duplicated automatically and I really don't care about backing up the client backups.  Can the server backup be configured to ignore them?

Is the server backup compressed or just copied?  IOW, does the secondary disk have to be a multiple of the primary or can it be the same size and hold multiple backups?  

Can things be selectively restored from the server backup?

1. Yes,
    2. Copied to a .vhd file. Generally a bit smaller than the original.
    3. If you are talking about your files, Yes. To do a server restore (if for example your primary disk fails) you firstly restore the Server and when that's running, you restore the missing files from your backup you have just used to restore your server. You can restore your server from previous backups also.

Try the "WHS 2011 Online Experience" to test this all out.

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:29 PM