Best way to copy files to the server RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this has been asked and answered before - I just don't want to screw it up.

Here is the situation.  I just installed a new 500gb drive in my server.  I did a fresh install of WHS onto this new drive and updated it with PowerPack1.  Everything is working fine so I attached the old 500gb drive but did not add it to the storage pool.  I want to copy my data out of the shares on the old drive into the shares of the new drive.  I should add that for now I am using a monitor and keyboard and working directly with my server on the desktip.  Once I get everything transferred over, I plan to reformat the old 500 gb drive, add it to the storage pool and then turn on file duplication.

So for now, what is the safest way to transfer these file?  Do I go from the old drive to D:\shares\software  or d:\DE\shares\software?  I know there was a shortcut on the desktop, but I think I deleted it when I was cleaning up some installation files.

thx

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:49 AM

Answers

•  GitSum_ wrote:
    The old hard drive will not show up if I do it in an explorer window from another computer (unless I am doing something wrong?)  Surely I can just copy the files over somewhere while at the server?

Yes.  As cuppie said, use \\[servername]\[sharename].  Anything else is asking for trouble.

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:34 AM
  • You can use \\<servername>\Software, as others have suggested. That will work, even on the server. Or you can use \\localhost\Software, which will only work on the server, but takes one layer of networking out of the equation.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:59 PM

All replies

• The safest way to transfer the files is thru the network, not directly to the folders (locally.)

The shortcut pointed to \\<servername>.  Therefore, simply open an Explorer window, and type \\<servername> (of course, replacing <servername> with the name of your WHS), hit <enter>.
    Copy the files into the appropriate folders.

Monday, August 11, 2008 2:21 AM
  • The old hard drive will not show up if I do it in an explorer window from another computer (unless I am doing something wrong?)  Surely I can just copy the files over somewhere while at the server?
    Monday, August 11, 2008 2:36 AM
  •  GitSum_ wrote:
    The old hard drive will not show up if I do it in an explorer window from another computer (unless I am doing something wrong?)  Surely I can just copy the files over somewhere while at the server?

Yes.  As cuppie said, use \\[servername]\[sharename].  Anything else is asking for trouble.

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:34 AM
  • You can use \\<servername>\Software, as others have suggested. That will work, even on the server. Or you can use \\localhost\Software, which will only work on the server, but takes one layer of networking out of the equation.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Let's say I had the same scenario but as I did not know better copied the items from the old drive to the shares via explorer directly on the server from the backup (non storage drive) drive to the shared folders (storage drives) using a screen / monitor connected to the WHS.

How would I reverse the situation which presumably will catch me out at a later date even if I have since used the UNC path method for copying files i.e. \\server\share-name?

thanks humbly

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:50 PM