Windows Home Server Can't connect outside local network RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I have read several threads on WHS connectivity and have not seen my problem.  I am running WHS on a vanilla HP EX470.  Life was great until I enabled remote access.  Granted it took some time to get working but it does now. 

My problem is WHS itself.  I had do the port forwarding on my router manually but can connect remotely to WHS.  When I am on the WHS itself however, I get little to no external connectivity.  Webpages timeout and pinging outside my local network tells me that WHS can't see the addresses.  What is going on?

Help!

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:39 PM

All replies

• How is access for other computers on your network?  Is your router good shape? How is your broadband connection - use something like speedtest.net to check it's okay.

Did you setup a proxy in internet explorer on your Windows Home Server?

--
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:10 PM
  • From within the home server, please open a command prompt and enter the command

ipconfig /all

Provide the result here to check, if something in the configuration is wrong. If this is not the case, check the hardware and swap the network cables and used ports. If the server has more than one network card, disable the unused one in device manager (or it's connection in network properties).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:37 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Ich habe hier die IP Infos runter kopiert

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS191 1000/100/10 Ethernet Device
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-86-A1-19
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ich habe gerade alles probiert und weiss dass die Problem liegt mit die Remote Access.  Ich habe die Remote Access ausgemacht und jetzt habe eine gute Verbindung mit internet.  Ich habe es vor einen anderen Router zu probieren.  Es ist schon merkwuerdig dass so bald ich Remote Access aktivieren ich kann dass  WHS erreichen von ausserhalb meinen Netzwork aber von die WHS selber ich kann die Internet nicht erreichen.

Noch eine Idee?

Gruesse aus Charlottesville,USA

Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Hi Al,

My connections on my other computers are just fine.  It is only the WHS box which is showing this problem.  I dont have a proxy set up on WHS.  The speedtest showed average speed.  It is something with my WHS remote access.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:59 PM
  • How did you set up Remote Access? Simply via console or did you play around with Routing and Remote Access service in Windows Server 2003 from Control Panel/Administrative Tools? The later could eventually cause such strange things.

Would it work, if you enable DHCP for your servers network interface? I have seen a similar strange behavior with manuall addressing, but this was with Windows Server 2008 R2. With WHS I cannot see anything similar.

Olaf

Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:25 PM
  • The remote access was done via the console and then when it failed to configure my router I did it manually.  I have routed the ports too my IP in the routing table on my router. I then set the static ip on my homeserver. 

The router is set to DHCP and all of my other boxes have visibility of the home server and the internet.  

What is wierd is that I can hit my WHS remotely with no issues.  It is just when I try to go from the WHS itself out to the internet that I have no connectivity.

Jeff 

Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:42 PM
  • What do you get if your try to ping www.google.com or any other site on the WHS - I think you DNS server entry is wrong.

Set your WHS to get the IP via DHCP and test it out again - a lot of routers allow you to reserve an IP over DHCP.

--
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this. I have the exact same issue (WHS has no problem with incoming connections, but cannot see external internet).  Would love to get this resolved, but with all the threads on the topic - nobody has every posted a solution!

any advice you can would would be greatly appreciated!

Sunday, November 4, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Again the basic question:

What is the output of ipconfig /all in the command prompt on the server?

If you ping a website, i.e.

ping www.welt.de

what is the response? Does it show an IP address or does it fail totally?

If you get the IP address by pinging the same website from another PC and ping the IP address directly from within WHS, does that work?

If so, you might have an wrong (manual?) DNS server entry in your network configuration. This should always be the IP address of the router.

Olaf

Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem, when i ping to google.com for example. the reply is host is unreachable.

I have try many site.

Need help.

Monday, December 17, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem, when i ping to google.com for example. the reply is host is unreachable.

I have try many site.

Need help.

You are receiving help on another thread specific to your problem!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, December 17, 2012 3:24 PM
  • If so, you might have an wrong (manual?) DNS server entry in your network configuration. This should always be the IP address of the router.

It is not 'always' but yes most of the time.

To diagnose external connections you need to try the following.  First get good results from a known working machine.  You will need to know the IP address of your router, sometimes it is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.254, 192.168.1.254.  You can find out the router address and also the dns address by running the following command in command prompt (dos shell): 

ipconfig /all

From your 'troublesome' machine first you want to try and ping the known good working machine for example the ip address of that machine may be 192.168.1.2 note the last number changes.  In most cases most home networks will be setup with either a 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.* addressing scheme.  This is called a class C network and for simplicity the first 3 number (192.168.0) also known as octets or bytes are the same for all items in your home network.  This is called the network.  There is also another fella in networking called the net mask and with a class C network it is always 255.255.255.0 - basically it means ignore the first 3 octets when looking at network addresses on 'this' network and only deal with the last octet.  That is your router is usually found on 1 or 254 and a router usually hands out IP addresses with a unique fourth (last) octet.  Some crazy ISPs set home networks to Class A so you may find you have a 10.*.*.* address, crazier ones use the class C network identifier but a class B or Class C netmask.  That is usually the beginning of your problems and I suggest changing ISP ;-)

Lets start by pinging a client - in this case 192.168.1.2 but it could be 192.168.0.3 or .4 etc

ping 192.168.1.2 

All good?  Then try to ping the gateway (this is the router, or modem that you get out onto the internet on) Now try your gateway 192.168.1.1 or whatever it's IP is.

ping 192.168.1.1

Next we try an IP we know is good on the internet

ping 8.8.8.8 

That last IP actually happens to be a dns server. The next thing we want to test is that name resolution works, DNS, that names can be turned into IP addresses

ping google-public-dns-a.google.com

Let us know at what point you failed. 

Also in future consider starting a new thread.  2 years is a while ago now.

Cheers,

Al

-- Free AV for WHSv1 : http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net/ ---- The add-in won't work on WHS 2011/2

Monday, December 17, 2012 3:30 PM
  • i ping a client (laptop on the network) and router all is ok

but i ping 8.8.8.8 or 

google-public-dns-a.google.com or google.con, the reply was Destination host unreachable

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:39 AM
  • I have solved the problem. The default gateway in the home server was not automatically set by the router. The default gateway was set to 0.0.0.0. I had to manually set both the ip and the default gateway ip in the home server. I was able to see the the settings by going to the Cmd and ipconfig /all

Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:30 PM