OneCare Allowed/Blocked Program List RRS feed

• Question

• While troubleshooting a problem not related to OneCare, I happened to look at this list and found a single file....GLJ3A.tmp....had been blocked. Tried to search for it and only found one reference on a "Hlghjack This" forum but no explanation as to what it is. Has anyone ever seen this? 
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:27 PM

Answers

• I am not familiar with the file, but it is likely part of an installer or it may have arrived on your PC via a driveby when visiting a web site that hosted the file. If the file requested access and was denied, it ends up in the blocked list. If it was part of a malware strike that was stopped, I would suspect that you might be able to learn more about any infection found by going to the logging tab in the OC Settings and creating the log report.
    On the other hand, since it was blocked, I'd not worry about it. You can delete the entry from the list and if it gets added back it would be time to locate where that file resides on your PC and how and why it is requesting network access - since a file with a .tmp extension should not be "live" code.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:40 PM

All replies

• I am not familiar with the file, but it is likely part of an installer or it may have arrived on your PC via a driveby when visiting a web site that hosted the file. If the file requested access and was denied, it ends up in the blocked list. If it was part of a malware strike that was stopped, I would suspect that you might be able to learn more about any infection found by going to the logging tab in the OC Settings and creating the log report.
    On the other hand, since it was blocked, I'd not worry about it. You can delete the entry from the list and if it gets added back it would be time to locate where that file resides on your PC and how and why it is requesting network access - since a file with a .tmp extension should not be "live" code.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for your quick answer. I will try what you suggested.

Pete
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:45 PM