none
how to change Email for notifications? RRS feed

• Question

• Please guide me how to change Email for notifications in msdn forums.

I registered in msdn forums many years ago with Email address that I used for many years before registration (i.e. decade ago).
    Well, it is hotmail which I do not use for many years (it had multiple problems).
    Or how I can redirect (forward) mail from there to another box?

Guennadi Vanine -- Gennady Vanin -- Геннадий Ванин
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:04 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the detailed reply. Let's address a couple of issues but focus on Live Alerts first.

- It's good that you are getting notifications (live alerts) using your live ID account (hotmail). This is by design. Notifications will be sent only to your signed-in Live ID account. There's 2 ways to remedy this problem.

1) Use your gmail account as your live ID account: You can do this by navigating to Forums (not signed in), click on Sign-in then on the sign in page, select "Sign-Up". From there you can put your gmail account as your live ID account. Once complete, you'll be able to create a new profile in the Forums apps.

Pro's: All your alerts will be sent to your gmail account
    Con's: You will have to create a new profile in the Forums app. This means you'll need to re-establish any settings or preferences you have. You'll also loose points since it's a new profile and you'll also need to re-subscribe

2) Auto-forward any incoming mail from your live id hotmail to gmail: I don't think you can auto-forward mail from hotmail to any other e-mail addresses. I made this an option in case hotmail does allow you to auto-forward mail. (which I don't think you can. If this is the case, your only option is no. 1)

- "BTW doing this (clicking on "Remove Alert" link) redirected me without any warning to another page in the same window and I lost all what I had been writing as reply here before and I am writing this message all over again!"

[Don] This usually happens when the page is still loading (including javascript code behind the scene) while performing any action such as subscribing to alerts, edit, reply, etc...

- "I indicated in Profile Center GMAIL Email for communication but I do receive them to hotmail.

I do receive to GMAIL account, howewer, subscriptions
    (as first phrase of Emails I receive): 
    - MCP FLASH - - in Portuguese
    - Microsoft Technet FLASH  - in Portuguese

Why is it ?"

[Don] Profile center afaik is a different store/app where different product lines such as MCP and Technet Flashes use to send notifications. For any issues around profile center, you may need to access that site and see if they can assist you. https://profile.microsoft.com/RegSysProfileCenter/

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:44 PM

All replies

• My Profile (right-hand column) / Edit Profile (top left) / Manage My Personal Information (top) should be the way - unfortunately using Safari/Mac that page (after logging in correctly) isn't opening but I suspect that that is where you change your e-mail address.
    WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 11:07 AM
  • Thanks. I checked there (in MyLive ID profile center) is indicated my actualized Email (different from one I sign in to forums) to which I do not receive notifications about replies to my threads (marked with "Alert me" check). Well, it is the same profile

So, the issue is why I do not receive notifications by Email from msdn forums ?
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Correct. Forums uses Windows Live Alerts for Forums e-mail notifications. In order to receive live alerts, your Live ID used in Forums should be activated and/or e-mail enabled. (Such as hotmail). If you use a different Live ID which is not mail enabled or using a different e-mail address based on your Live ID settings, then you won't receive notifications.

My suggestion is to look at your profile settings (Live) and make sure it's either mail enabled or pointing to the correct e-mail address.

Btw, to view your alerts settings, you can go to: http://alerts.live.com

From this site, you can view all your subscriptions including Forums

Thanks.

- Don
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Correct. Forums uses Windows Live Alerts for Forums e-mail notifications. In order to receive live alerts, your Live ID used in Forums should be activated and/or e-mail enabled. (Such as hotmail).

- Don
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Hi, Don,
    I use LiveID logging with hotmail account.
    But in Profile Center I indicated gmail as contact Email.
    It seems to work since I receive on it Technet Flash newsletters.
    Though I am not sure because I tried to indicate there US and Russia regional settings but continue receiving newsletters in Portuguese (I lived there some years ago for a decade and I used hotmail intensively for 6-8 years in Portugal).
    I am Russian and now live in Russia. BTW I have got and started to use gmail account only in Russia
    I am also MCP (using hotmail sign-in) though in Russia I used gmail Email for the purposes of MS certification test (in Russia).

BTW hotmail box is emptied. All correspondence there disappeared, so I do not plan to continue using it.

I am confused!
    I'd like to understand how to configure it all!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Thanks we'll look into this and loop in some folks to help troubleshoot this problem.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Hi Guennadi,

Re-read the entire thread. You've mentioned that you use a different Live ID account to sign in to Forums? Is that account a hotmail, live id  or your own e-mail address? By the way, the profile center where you have the correct e-mail address is not the e-mail address being used to send notification messages.

Couple of things to try:

1) Can you unsubscribe to any threads and re-subscribe using the same Login account? This should trigger a new alerts subscription to Forums
    2) If you go to alerts.live.com, do you see a list of Forums subscription under the "Your Alerts" section
    3) If you go to "Recent Alerts", do you see any alerts there?

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Hi Guennadi,

Re-read the entire thread. You've mentioned that you use a different Live ID account to sign in to Forums? Is that account a hotmail, live id  or your own e-mail address? By the way, the profile center where you have the correct e-mail address is not the e-mail address being used to send notification messages.

Couple of things to try:

1) Can you unsubscribe to any threads and re-subscribe using the same Login account? This should trigger a new alerts subscription to Forums
    2) If you go to alerts.live.com, do you see a list of Forums subscription under the "Your Alerts" section
    3) If you go to "Recent Alerts", do you see any alerts there?

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead

Hi, Don,
    thanks for your participation!

BTW how can I use Quote link underneath of the editor for multiple citations of marked text?

• "1) Can you unsubscribe to any threads and re-subscribe using the same Login account? This should trigger a new alerts subscription to Forums"
    I removed and activated again subscription on this (whrere I write now) thread!
    After that I replied to a few threads with ALERT ME marked
    and I had not got any notifications

BTW doing this (clicking on "Remove Alert" link) redirected me without any warning to another page in the same window and I lost all what I had been writing as reply here before and I am writing this message all over again!
    I marked the text and pressed Ctrl+C but it did not work (I use Opera and Windows XP SP3 , Russian)

• "By the way, the profile center where you have the correct e-mail address is not the e-mail address being used to send notification messages."
    BTW, I now signed in to hotmail Email box and observed it had recent notifications about your replies in this thread (+ others).
    Yes, this the purpose since I do not use or check hotmail for communications.
    I use for communications GMAIL account only that I indicated for correspondence in MyLive hotmail with which I signed in to msdn forums.

• "You've mentioned that you use a different Live ID account to sign in to Forums? Is that account a hotmail, live id or your own e-mail address?"
    I could not grasp - 'which" that from which of them?
    I use hotmail as LiveID which is to enter for signing to msdn forums (where I am writing now)
    I indicated in Profile Center GMAIL Email for communication but I do receive them to hotmail.

- MCP FLASH is in US English-US 
                     (this line had been changed after this post was replied)

- Microsoft Technet FLASH is in is in Portuguese-Portugal
                     (this line had been changed after this post was replied)

Why is it ? How can I change it to English? I lost a lot of time changing it to Russia settings and to USA.
    Still the same foreign languages and different ones!

BTW I use the same hotmail for MS correspondence and for http://forums.asp.net/ from which I get correspondence to my GMAIL account (for correspondence), that is - how I wished it to be.nut

But MSDN forums send notifications to hotmail (with which I sign in) and not to GMAIL

• "2) If you go to alerts.live.com, do you see a list of Forums subscription under the "Your Alerts" section"
    After going and clicking there "MSDN forums" link, my browser frozes itself fo half a minute and then duting another few behaves itself as completely drankard with slow reaction, mixing letters out of order.

So, there is no desire to navigate and loose time there.

After that I am presented with
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories
    Welcome to the MSDN Forums!
    i.e. I am redirected to the list of MSDN forums!

Yes, I see a list of forums but do they work? intuitively or "by design" so?

• 3) If you go to "Recent Alerts", do you see any alerts there?
    Yes

Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed reply. Let's address a couple of issues but focus on Live Alerts first.

- It's good that you are getting notifications (live alerts) using your live ID account (hotmail). This is by design. Notifications will be sent only to your signed-in Live ID account. There's 2 ways to remedy this problem.

1) Use your gmail account as your live ID account: You can do this by navigating to Forums (not signed in), click on Sign-in then on the sign in page, select "Sign-Up". From there you can put your gmail account as your live ID account. Once complete, you'll be able to create a new profile in the Forums apps.

Pro's: All your alerts will be sent to your gmail account
    Con's: You will have to create a new profile in the Forums app. This means you'll need to re-establish any settings or preferences you have. You'll also loose points since it's a new profile and you'll also need to re-subscribe

2) Auto-forward any incoming mail from your live id hotmail to gmail: I don't think you can auto-forward mail from hotmail to any other e-mail addresses. I made this an option in case hotmail does allow you to auto-forward mail. (which I don't think you can. If this is the case, your only option is no. 1)

- "BTW doing this (clicking on "Remove Alert" link) redirected me without any warning to another page in the same window and I lost all what I had been writing as reply here before and I am writing this message all over again!"

[Don] This usually happens when the page is still loading (including javascript code behind the scene) while performing any action such as subscribing to alerts, edit, reply, etc...

- "I indicated in Profile Center GMAIL Email for communication but I do receive them to hotmail.

- MCP FLASH - - in Portuguese
    - Microsoft Technet FLASH  - in Portuguese

Why is it ?"

[Don] Profile center afaik is a different store/app where different product lines such as MCP and Technet Flashes use to send notifications. For any issues around profile center, you may need to access that site and see if they can assist you. https://profile.microsoft.com/RegSysProfileCenter/

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:44 PM
  • o msdn forumsCon's: You will have to create a new profile in the Forums app. This means you'll need to re-establish any settings or preferences you have. You'll also loose points since it's a new profile and you'll also need to re-subscribe
    Does it mean starting again as completely new user? with 0 posts?

I already started anew few times in msdn forums and now I even do not know how to search my own old posts.

I really dislike the idea of starting over each time I need to establish communication!
    This is very serious drawback (amongst others) preventing my dedication to particpate in msdn forums...

Is this issue going to be addresses some time?

Friday, June 26, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

I'll discuss this issue with our team. We maybe able to make some changes so you don't loose any of your Forum preferences and points.

I may need to ask you to create a new Live ID using your GMail e-mail address as the login. Once you do this.

Bear with me while I look into the issue

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

I'll discuss this issue with our team. We maybe able to make some changes so you don't loose any of your Forum preferences and points.

I may need to ask you to create a new Live ID using your GMail e-mail address as the login. Once you do this.

Bear with me while I look into the issue

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    BTW, all other forums also permit tree view (branching) and changing the topic in the same thread.
    For  ex., now we wandered from initial  "How to change Email address" to "Problems with Live ID"

I could not creatу new Live ID having received:
    • "You've reached the daily limit for creating Windows Live IDs. Please wait a day and try to sign up again or contact support for assistance."

Then I really disliked the idea of changing Live ID or having multiple ones.
    That hotmail Live ID is linked to my MS certifications for many years and my MCP personal site.

So, I cannot abandon it anyway, or can I? How?

While trying to register for a new Live ID the language of webpage changed to Russian.
    And I know since I ried already before that I shall not be able to have country as Russia and preserve language as En-Us.

I work in IT for more than a decade now, always in in English and I am simply not accustomed to Russian.
    Even more, I do not know most terms in Russian (I started to work in IT abroad).

Just imagine that you need to switch to strange language, forcing yourself to translate and find matches for terms.
    And inevitably work in more than one language - one for profile, another for the forum, third - for discussions.

Note that I work periodicaly for years in different countries with different with different country for correspondence.

Is it worth now , to change ID?
    It does not solve the main - incoveniences are just increasing!

So, how can I have my country as Russia (or e.g., Portugal where I lived before) and language as English there?

It seems I should have multiple Live IDs - one for English, another - for Russia, another - for MCP, another - for msdn forums.

This is not an option!
    I do not think that I am going to burn my time for multiplying inconveniences!

Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:11 AM
  • Hi Guennadi,.

I understand it's dissapointing at this point regarding this thread going from changing e-mail notifications to problems with live ID. I'll assist you with Forums related issue however I may not be the best resource regarding Live ID issues. Do note that I don't control nor have the resources for live ID issues. With that in mind have you tried clearing your cooking and see if that fixes your language setting issues?

Also, This is a possible solution without changing your live ID for Forums. I found that option to forward mail from your hotmail account (Live ID you use for Forums where you currently receive mails) to your g-mail account.

I found the settings here.

http://mail.live.com/?rru=options

- Login using your hotmail account for Forums
    - Click "Forward Mail to another e-mail account"

Here's the catch, this is the error you get when forwarding to gmail:

"You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again."

Hope this helps.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Btw, I've engaged our support team on this. They'll also assist you on this issue.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Thanks, hope dies the last.

Anyway, you already helped me a lot since one thing is thinking that I just fail in banalities and another is knowing that I do not.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:02 AM
  • I understand it's dissapointing at this point regarding this thread going from changing e-mail notifications to problems with live ID

I think that architects of this overcentralization missed the essence of internet (and weapplications) - it is DECENTRALIZATION (and NOT in overcentralization)

Friday, July 3, 2009 12:29 AM

• 1) Use your gmail account as your live ID account : You can do this by navigating to Forums (not signed in), click on Sign-in then on the sign in page, select "Sign-Up ". From there you can put your gmail account as your live ID account. Once complete, you'll be able to create a new profile in the Forums apps.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Hi Don Tan:

What if the user doen't want to create a new, he/she wants instead to change the account login
    (but still keep the recognition points)?

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik

Coder24.com
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:10 AM
  • I'll bring this up to the team. We've had the same question from other Forums Users. Valid question and scenario. Currently there's no option in the edit profile to dissociate and re-associate with a different Passport Account.

Thanks for the feedback.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:58 PM
  • I'll bring this up to the team. We've had the same question from other Forums Users. Valid question and scenario. Currently there's no option in the edit profile to dissociate and re-associate with a different Passport Account.

Thanks for the feedback.

STO Forums Test Lead

Hi Don Tan:

Did you bring this up to the team?

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Itknowledge24.com
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 6:40 AM