locked
Driver Problems with WHS Restore - with Solution RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • This is a bit of a long story, but the solution is here and both the process and the solution might be useful for anyone having driver problems when restoring from WHS. So please bear with me...

    Got my new Dell laptop. Since my intent was to dual-boot XP and Vista, I wanted to first backup the original configuration before I started resizing partitions and the like. So immediately after the OOBE, I installed the Connector Software and performed a backup. No problem! Being a "belt AND Suspenders" sort, I then booted from the restore CD (latest PP1, burned fresh) to confirm that everything was working as expected. Since I do like to "play", I have been through this exercise many times on the other PCs around the house, so I was a little perplexed that it couldn't find the Server...

    WHS Restore seemed to be detecting the correct Realtek RTL8168/8111 Gigabit NIC, but inserting the drivers on a thumbdrive seemed to be the next step.

    Whoa - BSOD! O2Media.sys (MMC/SD Controller) was blamed for this, so I found the folder on the thumbdrive containing that driver and deleted it.

    This time, Restore is able to read the Thumbdrive, and detected the same NIC but with a slightly different name (so I knew it was a different driver), but still no Server to be found. A quick search through these forums and I found someone else reporting a similar problem, resolved by using the drivers installed with Vista.

    Great! - my intent was to dual-boot anyway, so went ahead and sliced/diced my drive and installed Vista. Did a backup, copied the drivers folder onto my thumbdrive and tried the Restore process again. As before, I removed the folder containing O2Media.sys before I inserted to avoid the BSOD.

    Voila! Server found! But wait! Now it can't find anywhere to restore to. My HD is nowhere to be found, and if I go to "Run Disk Manager", the only drives it is seeing are the CD and the thumbdrive. Now I'm concerned...

    Some basic Troubleshooting followed, and I was able to determine that the HD (ST9160411 ASG) would be seen by WGS Restore initially using generic drivers but when new drivers were read from the Thumbdrive, the Intel ICH8M 3 Port SATA - 2828 device would be installed (missing it's partner the Ultra ATA - 2850) and now no hard drive was shown.

    The solution was to remove all but the net*.* folders from the Thumbdrive. WHS Restore would then load only the new NIC driver, leaving the generic IDE drivers in place, and both the Server and the Drive are seen! Restore is now functional. Whew!

    As per Ken and Brubber (Thx guys!) in my previous post, WHS sees the laptop as 2 separate machines (XP and Vista) for backup and I'm leaving it that way until I decide which side I like better. My theory is that it doesn't actually take up any more space (exact same sectors each way) and I'll still well below the maximum 10 machines.

    I hope this process finds someone else experiencing similar problems, as the previous post I read lead me to this solution. This is how support is supposed to work.

    Thanx all.

    PC Mechanic



    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:30 PM

All replies

  • PCMechanix said:

    As per Ken and Brubber (Thx guys!) in my previous post, WHS sees the laptop as 2 separate machines (XP and Vista) for backup and I'm leaving it that way until I decide which side I like better. My theory is that it doesn't actually take up any more space (exact same sectors each way) and I'll still well below the maximum 10 machines. 

    I can confirm your theory is correct from personal experience.


    PCMechanix said:

    I hope this process finds someone else experiencing similar problems, as the previous post I read lead me to this solution. This is how support is supposed to work.

    Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm sure this will be useful to some other (desperate) user.



    Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:30 PM
    Moderator
  • Tnx!
    You just solved my problem in less then 5 minutes  :-)

    When trying to test-restore a new Toshiba Satelite P300 the Restore CD BSOD'd on O2Media.sys while scanning for drivers. Removing the O2media drivers from the USB stick solved the problem.

    - Theo.




    No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 2:31 PM
    Moderator
  • Theo, can you please submit a bug report on Connect ?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:09 PM
    Moderator
  • Ken,

    Submitted on connect as feedback issue#435541
    No home server like Home Server
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:14 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks. In my opinion, the Windows Home Server Restore CD should be able to work with any driver Vista will work with (since it uses WinPE 2.0, the Vista WinPE). Period, end of discussion. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:32 PM
    Moderator
  • (*grin*) Problem solved then - but obviously o2media.sys is not aware of that  ;)

    Btw: As far as I can tell the o2media.sys is a MMC/SD/xx controller driver. It has no business in restoring the system.


    No home server like Home Server
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:25 PM
    Moderator
  • ... o2media.sys is a MMC/SD/xx controller driver. ...

    All storage and network drivers get copied to Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore. I don't care if Windows Home Server doesn't need it, the Restore CD shouldn't choke on it. Even if the driver is for a BlueTooth "network" connection, or the "storage" driver is for a network printer that happens to have a bunch of Flash card adapters.

    In my not so humble opinion, that is. :)

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:33 PM
    Moderator