WHS not using primary data partition space RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 3 drives in my WHS - Primary is a 300Gb with a 20Gb system and 280Gb data, and two additional 120Gb drives for additional data.  My two 120Gb drives report about 86% full, while my primary drive is reporting only 7% (which is probably mostly the system partition use).  When I remote log in to the server, and use Computer Management to look at the drives, it shows the primary data partition as being 307.68Gb free out of 278Gb capacity!!  Do I need to do a reinstall to get this data partition to function properly?  Is this a common issue with anyone else?
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:50 PM

Answers

• Everything is functioning as designed. Windows Home Server uses the primary DATA partition (D:) last for storing files, in general, and it combines the total free space on all drives when you view properties on a share, so the free space may seem greater than any single drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, April 13, 2009 2:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Verle Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:25 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:53 PM

All replies

• You should never mess around with the disk manager via Computer Management. In reality you should not even mess with remote desktop unless you know what you are doing.
    Anyway the way the drive extender works in WHS you might see more free space than capacity, it's normal and nothing to worry about.

When you have three drives I think WHS favors the system drive less. But you should no worry, as long as you have duplication turned on your data is stored on two disks.
    If you really want the load to be balanced there exists an Add-In that temporarily fills your drives in order to force WHS to start moving data to the system drive. But I think that is just silly. Link here: http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2009/03/28/add-in-review-drive-balancer/
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Everything is functioning as designed. Windows Home Server uses the primary DATA partition (D:) last for storing files, in general, and it combines the total free space on all drives when you view properties on a share, so the free space may seem greater than any single drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, April 13, 2009 2:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Verle Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:25 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:53 PM