HPC Pack 2008 (April CTP) Fails during installation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm running Windows 2008 Server(clean install) with SQL Server 2005 SP2.  Initially I had HPC 2008 installed fine with SQLExpress but removed it.  Now I can't get it to install period, always getting the same error.  These are the steps I've taken....

Installed All SQL Server Components, including SQL Server Database Services and Workstation components, Books Online and development tools

Selected Named instance - COMPUTECLUSTER

Completed the install

Installed SQL SP2

Verifiied that Shared Memory and TCP/IP are enabled in SQL Server Configuration Manager

HPC setup.exe

Getting Started - Next

Accept Agreement -> Next

Create New Compute Cluster -> Next

Using Existing SQL Instance -> Next

Default location -> Next

Install Required Components (Microsoft HPC Pack 2008) -> Install

The installation gets to a status of "Creating Databases" and then bombs with

"Error -2147467259: failed to create SQL database: CCPClusterService, error detail: unknown error."

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio      9.00.3042.00
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools      2005.090.3042.00
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)      6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
    Microsoft MSXML      3.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer      7.0.6001.18000
    Microsoft .NET Framework      2.0.50727.1434
    Operating System      6.0.6001

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 2 times and am still coming up short.  Please help.

Thanks,
    tman

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:23 PM

Answers

•  

If anyone is still experiencing this, can you please try the following?

Re-run setup.exe, but this time pass in the -msilog:<filename> option to generate a log file with error details.  Then you can e-mail me that log file at jbarnard at microsoft dot com  so we can take a look?

Thanks!
    Josh

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:09 PM

All replies

• nvm,

I just got it installed.  In case anyone else runs into this issue.  There were some entries in the host file which I removed and then it installed like a champ

192.168.1.105            MSGUILD                      #HPC
    127.0.0.1                localhost                      #HPC
    192.168.1.105            Enterprise.MSGUILD            #HPC

tman

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:44 PM
  •  

We just released a new Beta last week (Beta 2).  I'd recommend trying with that and then letting us know if you find a problem.

Thanks,

Josh

Friday, May 23, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Hi Josh,

I'm installing HPC Pack 2008 Beta 2 and having the same problem:

After the SQL installation (through the HPC installation) I receive the message: "Error -2147467259: failed to create SQL database: CCPClusterService, error detail: unknown error."

I'm having this problem while trying to install the headnode on top of Windows 2008 Enterprise which is preconfigured to have the DNS and AD roles. All pre-installations including the SQL service appears to be running successfuly.

Your inputs and help are most welcomed,

Thanks,

- Gal H Cohen

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:54 PM
  •  

I believe there are some other forum posts about this if you poke around . . .you should be able to work around the problme by clearing out your old SQL install.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:07 PM
  •  

If anyone is still experiencing this, can you please try the following?

Re-run setup.exe, but this time pass in the -msilog:<filename> option to generate a log file with error details.  Then you can e-mail me that log file at jbarnard at microsoft dot com  so we can take a look?

Thanks!
    Josh

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:09 PM