Tune up/Clean up question RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Live One Care Tune Up  DOES -NOT clean up my temporary internet files and cookies.  According to the documentation and help files, it should, Then, if I open Windows Explorer and go to my user profile/local settings/temporary internet files, I have hundreds of files listed.  I have to manually clean out my temporary internet files and cookies.  I have looked to see if there is a default setting that it only cleans out these files when they are under a default user profile or something, but I can't find anything about those settings.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:42 PM

Answers

• Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup on XP.

In Vista, type "cleanup" without the quotes in the search box and select Disk Cleanup.

Run Disk Cleanup manually, selecting the options desired. The options you choose for a manual run of Cleanup should then be respected by OneCare.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:10 PM

All replies

• Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup on XP.

In Vista, type "cleanup" without the quotes in the search box and select Disk Cleanup.

Run Disk Cleanup manually, selecting the options desired. The options you choose for a manual run of Cleanup should then be respected by OneCare.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:10 PM
  • The disk Cleanup tool on XP does not delete the temporary internet files and cookies either.  I have to go to the folder list and manually delete these files.

I would like an answer as to why Windows Live Once Care Tune up does not clean up these files?  A more novice user would assume that the program was doing what it was supposed to do, and would not even think to check the folder list, even if they knew how.  It makes me doubt WLOC's effectiveness.  How do I know it's doing it's job keeping me free from viruses?

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:33 AM