Complete Network Backup After Format I Can't Restore, Even Know I can See The Files RRS feed

• Question

• After reinstalling both Vista and One Care when i added a network location i went to the same folder with all the files and wouldn't show the files i need to restore

Is there any way to unzip all the files w/o doing them one by one
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:34 PM

Answers

• If you are trying to restore from the network Share where the backup was written to, but OneCare is throwing an error about backup not found, you may want to try this workaround:

Configure OneCare, which was just reinstalled, to do a backup to that same Share. It will be a new, full backup. However, in the configuration, select a limited file type - perhaps financial, and exclude as many folders from the scan as possible. Let the backup run to create a small new backup to the Share.

Now run the restore wizard and select the custom restore option. Select the older backup shown and follow the wizard to restore your files.

You don't want to manually unzip the files as files that span multiple zip files will need to be rejoined with a 3rd party tool.

If you need help with the restore, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:48 AM

All replies

• If you are trying to restore from the network Share where the backup was written to, but OneCare is throwing an error about backup not found, you may want to try this workaround:

Configure OneCare, which was just reinstalled, to do a backup to that same Share. It will be a new, full backup. However, in the configuration, select a limited file type - perhaps financial, and exclude as many folders from the scan as possible. Let the backup run to create a small new backup to the Share.

Now run the restore wizard and select the custom restore option. Select the older backup shown and follow the wizard to restore your files.

You don't want to manually unzip the files as files that span multiple zip files will need to be rejoined with a 3rd party tool.

If you need help with the restore, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Hi, I tried to restore files from an earlier backup....after performing the above directions and OneCare doesn't see my older backup, just the one, I just made today (28 Apr 08).  I did a complete system (Windows XP SP2) reinstall yesterday.  Any suggestions?   Thx

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:33 PM
  • First of all, what is the destination of the backup? And before the system reinstall, was the backup to the same location?

When performing the restore, are you selecting to restore from another computer or a custom restore? After a reinstall, the old backup is no longer associated with the current installation of OneCare and would be considered a backup from another computer.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Hi Steve, The destination drive from my earlier setup and current is a USB connected external HD with P: as the drive letter (always).  The backup was in the same location before the reinstall.  Any restore I select, custom, from another computer etc... only shows the backup I did today and the backup from one of my other PCs, as this one is the hub.  A long time ago, I had an issue with the OneCare software and one of y'all (techs from MS) remoted in and fixed it.  Can you do that now?

Thx

Tim

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:12 PM
  • I can't, since I'm not a Microsoft employee or tech support, but OneCare support can help. 

You mentioned that this PC is the hub. Try demoting it to a regular PC and not using Centralized backup. Then try the restore from the external drive using the option for another computer.

And, if you do get help from support, please update us with the solution here.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:23 PM