Is it possible to automatically backup the server every night? RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched the forum for an answere to this question but could not find one. 

I've added a second drive to the server, marked it as a backup drive. I was able to run a backup of the server but now I'm wondering if this is a completely manual thing or can I set it up to keep the system backed up automatically.  Seems simple enough, but I don't see it.  I all DO see a grayed out button labeled "Configure Backup".  It only appears when I select one of my computers on the network, not the server.

I'm using WHS, Service Pack 2

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:22 AM

All replies

• I just realised that what I think I really wanted was 'folder duplication'.  My thought is that if I enable this, I should always have a copy of all the files on the system.  True?  If so, do I really need a 'backup'?

Also, I have two 1TB drives in my pool and one 2TB drive set as a backup drive.  Will 'folder duplication' put the duplicates on the 'backup' drive or the other drive in the pool?

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:37 AM
  • My understanding is that folder duplication will put the duplicates in the pool, not in the backup.  If you are looking for a backup plan to an external or network drive, you might want to look into the BDBB add-in.  For example, see http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/04/21/windows-home-server-backup-database-backup-1016-released/.

As far as I am aware, there is no mechanism within WHS that supports automatic backup of the server of the backup database.

Hope this helps!

Friday, January 14, 2011 1:18 PM