CRM 4 Outlook client silent installation fails with system error 1018 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am attempting to install the CRM Outlook client silently. I've followed the Technet articles for installing via SetupClient.exe directly and also using /A to create the admin install.

Both methods install silently (all of the files appear in Program Files) and then right at the end of installation it fails with:

MSI (s) (44:E4) [16:34:04:703]: Product: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 for Microsoft Office Outlook -- Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient.  System error 1018.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient.  System error 1018.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
    Action ended 16:34:04: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
    Action ended 16:34:05: INSTALL. Return value 3.
    MSI (s) (44:E4) [16:34:05:701]: Product: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 for Microsoft Office Outlook -- Installation failed.

The install then rolls back. I've tried precreating this key with no luck. I don't understand how the user running the install process can't access it's own HKCU?

The install commands I am using are:

SetupClient.exe /Q /P /l C:\TEMP\CRM.log /targetdir "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client"

OR

msiexec /i C:\CRM\CrmClient.msi INSTALLLEVEL=2 /quiet /norestart

Both methods either result in the same error, do nothing at all or SetupClient.exe hangs in the background.

If I run a manual install, it works.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rob

Friday, February 11, 2011 1:05 AM

Answers

• This was eventually solved by using the local system account to perform the install, as opposed to a non-interactive admin user or service account. The later failed 9/10 times with random errors. Strangely, every now and then it would work.
    • Marked as answer by Rob.Ford Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:20 PM

All replies

• I tried the update rollup 10 client and it looked like it fixed the problem but now I get errors on different registry keys, for example:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\crmaddin.Addin"

• Marked as answer by Rob.Ford Friday, February 11, 2011 2:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob.Ford Friday, February 11, 2011 2:45 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Hi, Rob..

Please take a look at this KB Page... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314917

(prijil.p.s)
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, February 11, 2011 4:39 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rob.Ford Monday, February 14, 2011 7:08 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:48 AM
  • Thanks, but that article is to do with Exchange Database errors and nothing to do with installing the CRM client.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:08 PM
  • This was eventually solved by using the local system account to perform the install, as opposed to a non-interactive admin user or service account. The later failed 9/10 times with random errors. Strangely, every now and then it would work.
    • Marked as answer by Rob.Ford Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:20 PM