EMail Router - no Incoming Profile configured RRS feed

• Question

• WE are not using an incoming Profile in our deployment  - I would like to challenge this but I need to know if this is a normal configuration. My understanding is that with no incominjg profile configured this means that though users will receive emails in their Outlook client from CRM contacts etc - those emails will not lead to the creation of email activities within CRM

Are there reasons why this might be a good design decision? Does anyone else know of deployments that use Email Router with no Incoming Profile configured?

Cheers

Jonj

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Here are few advantages email router has over Outlook when it comes to processing incoming emails.

E-mail Router provides centrally managed e-mail routing for users, queues, and forward mailboxes. With this method, e-mail is routed to Microsoft Dynamics CRM regardless of whether the recipient is logged on. With Outlook set as an option to process incoming emails, the actual e-mail routing for each user occurs only while the user is logged on. If Outlook is not running, e-mail messages remain in the queue and will not be processed until Outlook is started again.

If your organization uses e-mail queues, you must use the E-mail Router. Queues are not supported by using Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook.

If your organization is using generic mailboxes (when email is sent to a generic email address instead of a specific user like contactus@organization.com) then you must have to use email router. 

If incoming profile of email router is used, then user doesn't' need to open Outlook to process an email and he can reply/process an email right from CRM interface. 

I think there would be other advantages as well that I have missed :-)

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful" Thanks, Imran Abbasi

• Edited by Imran I Abbasi Friday, October 11, 2013 12:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by jonjames Friday, October 11, 2013 1:07 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Here are few advantages email router has over Outlook when it comes to processing incoming emails.

E-mail Router provides centrally managed e-mail routing for users, queues, and forward mailboxes. With this method, e-mail is routed to Microsoft Dynamics CRM regardless of whether the recipient is logged on. With Outlook set as an option to process incoming emails, the actual e-mail routing for each user occurs only while the user is logged on. If Outlook is not running, e-mail messages remain in the queue and will not be processed until Outlook is started again.

If your organization uses e-mail queues, you must use the E-mail Router. Queues are not supported by using Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook.

If your organization is using generic mailboxes (when email is sent to a generic email address instead of a specific user like contactus@organization.com) then you must have to use email router. 

If incoming profile of email router is used, then user doesn't' need to open Outlook to process an email and he can reply/process an email right from CRM interface. 

I think there would be other advantages as well that I have missed :-)

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful" Thanks, Imran Abbasi

• Edited by Imran I Abbasi Friday, October 11, 2013 12:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by jonjames Friday, October 11, 2013 1:07 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 12:01 PM
  • fantastic response - many thanks
    Friday, October 11, 2013 1:08 PM