Configuring USB external drive for back-ups in a circle of two computers RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using back-up successfully for several moths with a WD external drive set up with 2 partitions, one forthe PC and one for a laptop. With Version 1, I have to take the Laptop t othe pc and plughte drive into it to back it up. Now with Version 2. I an setting up a circle with the PC as HUB. I can See both partitions when selecting one for the hub computer to use. When O select the laptop on the hub computer, it does not allow me to change network location. It only show "local device " and DVD/CD as options.

When I log in on the Laptop, I can select the correct rive . Whe I try to connect, Iam asked for a password for the Hub pc.(???) when I continue I get a message that it connot connect because a backup is in progress. Whe I try to stop the session, it is uuable to.

What do I need to do to get the laptop to select the correct partition??

KarlB

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:41 AM

Answers

• Karl, I recommend that you reach out to support for help if the instructions above did not help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I suspect that your problem may be due to the external drive having two partitions. To simplify matters, I recommend deleting the partitions on the external drive, formatting it with a single partition, and creating a network Share on the drive on the Hub machine per the above instructions. Grant permission under properties for the Share for all users to be able to change files - read/write/full control. Once the Share is set up, configure Centralized Backup for both PCs to point to the Network Share, attached to the hub.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:47 AM

All replies

• There appear to be a number of possibilities for what you are encountering, so I'll post the instructions for configuring Centralized backup from Instant Help:

Create a backup plan

To help avoid losing important data, you should create a backup plan to back up your files regularly. You can create a separate plan for individual computers, or create a plan that uses a central backup device for all the computers in your OneCare circle. You can create a plan that uses a central backup device only from a hub PC.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.
    • If you want to use OneCare online photo backup as part of your backup plan, you must purchase an online photo backup subscription separately. For more information, see Purchase, renew, or cancel a OneCare online photo backup subscription.

Since the external drive already has two partitions on it, make sure that you have enough free space to configure the centralized backup. Your old backups will not be added to as you are actually starting a new backup for both PCs with the 2.0 upgrade and the new backup plan configuration. You need to have 25 gigs free in the partition you are using for the backup and you may need more, depending on how much data needs to be backed up.

Since the drive is attached to one PC all the time, I don't know if you need to configure a Share on that drive and then point the backup for all PCs to this Share. I think you do, though, since the non-hub PC (without the drive attached) needs to have permission to write to the drive.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:31 PM

• I went to the hub PC and pluged the external drive into the laptop like I used to so the back up under 1.0. I was able to restore the back up to the laptop.

I hen tried to access the back up drive while it was connected to the Hub PC. I can see the drive on the network and get the same message as before " already has a backup session in progress" . I guess I will just to it the old way until my subscription is up in March and try another program. This 2.0 Circle is a nice feature in theory but it doesn't work for me.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:11 AM
  • Karl, I recommend that you reach out to support for help if the instructions above did not help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I suspect that your problem may be due to the external drive having two partitions. To simplify matters, I recommend deleting the partitions on the external drive, formatting it with a single partition, and creating a network Share on the drive on the Hub machine per the above instructions. Grant permission under properties for the Share for all users to be able to change files - read/write/full control. Once the Share is set up, configure Centralized Backup for both PCs to point to the Network Share, attached to the hub.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:47 AM