Remote Web Access login RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up remote web access to my server. I have everything working to the point of being presented a login page. It asks for the user name and password. I do not know what to enter for the username. this is a piece of information I have never called out. I have several user accounts set up. I have tried the account name, and login name, neither works, remote web access is allowed. I tried the sever name. any ideas?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:00 AM

Answers

• Try setting up another user without an underscore.  Make it simple like John and then try.  My WHS 2011 test box (I use WHS v1 real world) has been repurposed for testing Win 8, so I can't try it myself at the moment.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    Thanks for the responce, but it did not work. I get an error message that said adiministrator access is not allowed from the web, and goes on to instruct how to gain that function by taking other steps. My user account I set up for my self, I used Gene_home as my login, might the underscore be an illeagal character? One other thought, I have am using the dashboard login app, it only calls for a password. I see the launchpad app login calls for both user name and password, I have never used this or did any setup on it. I have WHS 2011.

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Gene2710 Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:12 PM

All replies

• Use Administrator

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    I am trying to set up remote web access to my server. I have everything working to the point of being presented a login page. It asks for the user name and password. I do not know what to enter for the username. this is a piece of information I have never called out. I have several user accounts set up. I have tried the account name, and login name, neither works, remote web access is allowed. I tried the sever name. any ideas?

BullDawg
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Thanks for the responce, but it did not work. I get an error message that said adiministrator access is not allowed from the web, and goes on to instruct how to gain that function by taking other steps. My user account I set up for my self, I used Gene_home as my login, might the underscore be an illeagal character? One other thought, I have am using the dashboard login app, it only calls for a password. I see the launchpad app login calls for both user name and password, I have never used this or did any setup on it. I have WHS 2011.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Try setting up another user without an underscore.  Make it simple like John and then try.  My WHS 2011 test box (I use WHS v1 real world) has been repurposed for testing Win 8, so I can't try it myself at the moment.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    Thanks for the responce, but it did not work. I get an error message that said adiministrator access is not allowed from the web, and goes on to instruct how to gain that function by taking other steps. My user account I set up for my self, I used Gene_home as my login, might the underscore be an illeagal character? One other thought, I have am using the dashboard login app, it only calls for a password. I see the launchpad app login calls for both user name and password, I have never used this or did any setup on it. I have WHS 2011.

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Gene2710 Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:12 PM
  • while setting up a new account, as you suggested I was promted for a user name and password. Then consulting the list I made when I created my user accounts I found the same, user names and passwords. My confussion came in understanding what the web access was doing. Was using the servers web address given by Microsoft ____.homeserver.com, then I was trying to deleiver the main server password, and a user login in that does not exist. I now know I am accessing the server and am logging on to a user account via that user accounts user name and password. The underscore had nothing to do with it. Thanks.

I do have anoghter issue, if I should post a new thread please let me know. Anyway when I set up the server web address through Microsoft and got the ______.homeserver.com address, I remember reading that as a part of that Mircosoft would issue a site security certificate. When I am logging on the my server site, IE comes up with a missmatched site certificate warning. I have looked at the certificate and it is issued by GoDaddy.com. Any thoughts on what is going on there?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:17 AM
  • Re:  I do have another issue, if I should post a new thread please let me know...

Post the other issue here:

Search that forum before posting, I believe that issue has been addressed.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:21 AM