none
HOW TO USE SMARTPHONE AS GSM MODEM FROM PC RRS feed

• Question

• Good day, I'd like to be able to send some AT commands to "cellphone" part device of the smartphone, which is connected with usb cable? is there way to enable connection as to a cell not a media devise for example. is it doable from pc application? thank you.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Alexandr,

I'm afraid your question is off-topic here.  What you describe is a function of the particular phone/carrier/data-plan.  If all three support this, then the phone most likely has a modem application that you run to enable modem mode.  Windows then simply recognizes the phone as a USB modem when you plug it in.  There is no PC application involved.

Ask your carrier (the company you pay to use your cell phone) what you need to do; they can tell you which model phones you can use and which data plans you'll have to have.

-edit-

I'll let this stand for a little while incase someone else has another idea, but the thread will likely be moved to the Off-Topic forum after that.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:47 AM
  • Good day, I'd like to be able to send some at commands to "cellphone" part device of the smartphone, which is connected with usb cable? is there way to enable connection as to a cell not a media devise for example. is it doable from pc application? thank you.

Try a search engine perhaps.

Google search for "Use smartphone as GSM Modem"

La vida loca

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:04 AM
  • it is a model specific issue. some phones have the needed usb connection option, some not. Maybe a universal solution exist. for example a windows app: create/update a parsed file or db with parameters (cellno, text, time, status), put it into folder of cellphone + cell app: check that file for new entry, if one exist, send a text. i look for more direct way to do it, without gateway (user have to send/receive sms as from cellnumber and have them stored on sim card, cellno is identified by reciepient), modem (insert/remove simcards needed), independent of wireless, no cell app (needs to be tested/adjusted for every phone model/os). it would be a very elegant solution to enable/emulate connection as cellphone for any model of smartphone e.g.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Thank you, Reed.
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:33 PM
  • it is a model specific issue. some phones have the needed usb connection option, some not. Maybe a universal solution exist. for example a windows app: create/update a parsed file or db with parameters (cellno, text, time, status), put it into folder of cellphone + cell app: check that file for new entry, if one exist, send a text. i look for more direct way to do it, without gateway (user have to send/receive sms as from cellnumber and have them stored on sim card), modem (insert/remove simcards needed), independent of wireless, cell app needs to be tested/adjusted for every phone model/os. it would be a very elegant solution to enable/emulate connection as cellphone for any model of smartphone at least.

Well until you learn enough about every smart phone from every smart phone manufacturer and service provider using said smart phone and then what needs to be done to design and build a universal application to do whatever you want to do then what is your question with regard to VB.Net which is what this forum is about? Are you having a code issue?

After all "How to use a smartphone as GSM MODEM from PC" is not a vb.net related question. And since all smartphones are different then how could anybody answer that anyhow?

La vida loca

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:35 PM
  • i have related threads posted in other msdn forums. the application is made in vb.net. it is a multiuser winforms app. i want to add some extra functioanality into it. Using vb.net code i want to access the AT part of the major cell phone brands. for example my samsung cannot be connected as cell/modem but only as media devise and storage. if it is just a matter of kinda emulation: e.g some phones do it from their end as programmed, and maybe it is possible to do reverse emulation from windows. so in this scenario some system devise coding would be envolved. don't be offended if this post is not quite in the proper forum. if you have any similar issue xp, you may wish to give me a hint where to dig. "Google it"- you got point for this.
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:36 PM
  • Then you need to research on how to access all the major cell phone brands AT part using code. And via what type of connection I suppose (USB, Bluetooth, WIFI, whatever). That's not really a vb.net question. It's a question that can only be answered by the major cell phone brands manufacturers IMO.

Don't smart phones have different operating systems also? So accessing smartphones with different OSs would be different too wouldnt it?

La vida loca

Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:47 PM
  • Google search for "Control smartphone from PC" - I would guess different smartphones have different requirements as well as different smartphone OS's have  different requirements. Note that some smartphones require an app to be installed on the for this to work also.

La vida loca

Friday, June 20, 2014 4:51 AM
  • i have related threads posted in other msdn forums. the application is made in vb.net. it is a multiuser winforms app. i want to add some extra functioanality into it. Using vb.net code i want to access the AT part of the major cell phone brands. for example my samsung cannot be connected as cell/modem but only as media devise and storage. if it is just a matter of kinda emulation: e.g some phones do it from their end as programmed, and maybe it is possible to do reverse emulation from windows. so in this scenario some system devise coding would be envolved. don't be offended if this post is not quite in the proper forum. if you have any similar issue xp, you may wish to give me a hint where to dig. "Google it"- you got point for this.

There's nothing you can do from Windows to turn a cell phone into a modem (other than to, in theory, write a program that generates the correct audio frequencies for a V.35 modem and then play them over the speakers into the cell phone's mic after dialing another modem; essentially emulating the early modems that used a normal telephone handset).

What Windows sees when you plug the phone into your computer is completely up to the phone and how it's USB interface is wired and programmed.  It may or may not be possible to add modem functionality to a phone with an app (installed on the phone) and/or firmware hacks.  Typically, if the phone does not already have a way to be used as a modem, then it isn't capable of doing it; especially if it only shows up as a media storage device.  Again, there may be a firmware hack you can make that will cause it to show up as a modem/serial device but that would be specific to the phone and would have nothing to do with VB.Net desktop development.

I'm going to go ahead and move this to off topic now.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Friday, June 20, 2014 3:47 PM
  • thanks. "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - wise man say, im not wise enough to implement it in practise. I gonna try a thing described in the 1st para (playing audio into mic) :))), can hardly believe you were not sarcasting.
    Friday, June 20, 2014 7:19 PM