none
Missing function RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of MAJOR problems with Streets & Trip,or I don't know how to the product.

1) The trip is layed out in "Day 1, Day 2, etc.". Why can't I change that to a useful date, like 14 Nov 2011, etc.

2) Why can't I modify the settings for an individual day of traveling?  I usually travel from 9 am to 5 pm. In a trip I just laid out, S&T stopped me at 5 pm, then started me backup at 9 am the next day, then stopped me at 9:30, where I had a"Planned" overnight stay. Dumb.I should be able to manually change each individual days start and stop times.

Can I do either of these functions or are they deficiencies.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:08 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your suggestions.  I've been using S&T for several years and always cuss when I want the above features.  I've tried to import the data into EXCEL but that's a failure also because EXCEL can't keep up  to changes.

Re: Old CD. Your correct about keep track of new roads and construction. I'm hoping the developing company is still in business.

Anyhow, thanks again for the comments.

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruceaj Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:06 PM

All replies

• On your "1", S&T does not know anything about calendar months; it treats every day the same.  What you can do is add a stop right after the start with the number of days of the month preceding your start date.  For instance, if you want your route plan to start with the number 14, go to the Route planner panel, right-click the "Start" box, the one with a 1 in the green box, and select "Add as a stop."  Now, right-click on that new stop and select "Schedule stop" and click on the box at the right of the "Stop for" to toggle to "nights" rather than hours and minutes and then enter 13 in the box to the left.  Now, the second line of your driving directions will say "Day 14."  Note that when (and if) you get to December 1, it will continue on with this numbering sequence rather than changing to "1."

On your "2", you can customize those times any way you want.  Go to "Route" and then "Route options" and the first tab titled "Profile" allows you to put whatever times in you like.  If you put the same time in both boxes, like 1 am, then no breaks will be imposed.

• Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:36 PM
  • The trip is layed out in "Day 1, Day 2, etc.". Why can't I change that to a useful date, like 14 Nov 2011, etc.

Hi Bruce,

This is an often discussed, and often requested, but not yet implemented, feature: Show date in Microsoft Streets and Trips, instead of just Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

Laptop GPS World
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

Re: My item 1. In my case that won't work. I am planning trip that will keep me on the road for over two months.  Many years ago (8 - 10?) that allowed you to set up your trip by set a real date as the start date. I forgot today, but maybe tonight, I'll go through my old CD's and see if I still have it.

Re: Item 2. As I understand the customizing you mentioned, those changes are for the entire trip. I want to be able to it on at a day level.  Again, the program I mentioned above allowed me to do just that.

Right now, it seems that S&T is the only game in town..

Maybe Microsoft will add these function to the 2012 or 2013 version.  Let's hope so.

Bruce

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Just another case where MS does not listen to its users.

Bruce

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:19 AM
  • Over on the Laptop GPS World forum, there have been several posts dealing with your concerns over the past few years, so do not feel alone.  On the other hand, don't hold your breath waiting for MSFT to "add these functions." 

Personally, I don't like the idea of a single file for a long, multiday trip.  On some machines, performance can be degraded just because of all the data that is in the file.  And if you have a failure of some kind, you might be seriously inconvenienced (like losing your whole route).  So, I would suggest breaking up the route into shorter segments.  It is not a bad idea to have a master route plan just to give you the overall shape of the expedition but for day-to-day navigating I would say the shorter the better.  And if you are doing things like employing a lot of pushpins, stops, or are running a GPS trail, the file can quickly grow out of hand and become, in my opinion, unwieldy.  For instance, the GPS trail feature puts down at least four (I forget exactly how many) pieces of data EVERY SECOND.  That will grow a file real quick. 

So, if you just do it a day at a time, the day numbering can work much better for you.  I tend to name each day's route file by the date and that might be a useful way for you to keep things straight. 

Also, you can set your Route Options (Start/End, etc) for each day if you have a separate file for each day. 

I think you are making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself by trying to cram everything into one file, but it's completely up to you. 

Finally, I would not bother going back through your old CDs to recapture that feature you thought was once there.  I have been using S&T since the 1990s and I can assure you that it is much better overall now than it was then.  Besides highways keep changing and old highway data could really mess you up.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestions.  I've been using S&T for several years and always cuss when I want the above features.  I've tried to import the data into EXCEL but that's a failure also because EXCEL can't keep up  to changes.

Re: Old CD. Your correct about keep track of new roads and construction. I'm hoping the developing company is still in business.

Anyhow, thanks again for the comments.

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruceaj Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:06 PM