WHS reports expired anti-virus when computer is powered down RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with a dual-boot, Vista Ultimate/Windows 7 installation. Both the Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 installations are running AVG as their antivirus solution. Both copies are up-to-date and functional.

While running Windows 7: The WHS icon shows up on all computers as green and life is good!

While running Vista Ultimate: The WHS icon turns red with a "Network Critical" error. Clicking on the error message reveals that "Antivirus software is either not installed or out of date on [Win7 Computer]."

If I boot back to Windows 7, the WHS icon turns green again. Further investigation reveals that the mere action of powering down the Window 7 installation (even without booting into Vista Ultimate) also brings the red icon on all other computers in the house.

How do I make WHS understand that just because the Windows 7 computer is not active that the antivirus software is still OK?
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

• Could you please submit a bug report for this on Connect? that said, this is known behavior, and appears to be due to difference in the way the Vista and Windows 7 security center interact with antivirus and Windows Home Server. Most likely any fix will come from antivirus vendors or Windows 7, as Windows Home Server is just reporting what it has been told by the client PC.

Also, you should remove the connector from whichever OS you use less on that dual boot computer. All partitions will still be backed up as long as you boot the OS with the connector. Finally, there's a little-mentioned caveat with multi-boot computers: you must restore all OS partitions at once if you restore using the Restore CD, to be sure the computer will boot afterward.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by woodp Monday, June 8, 2009 6:17 PM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:00 PM

All replies

• Could you please submit a bug report for this on Connect? that said, this is known behavior, and appears to be due to difference in the way the Vista and Windows 7 security center interact with antivirus and Windows Home Server. Most likely any fix will come from antivirus vendors or Windows 7, as Windows Home Server is just reporting what it has been told by the client PC.

Also, you should remove the connector from whichever OS you use less on that dual boot computer. All partitions will still be backed up as long as you boot the OS with the connector. Finally, there's a little-mentioned caveat with multi-boot computers: you must restore all OS partitions at once if you restore using the Restore CD, to be sure the computer will boot afterward.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by woodp Monday, June 8, 2009 6:17 PM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Also, you should remove the connector from whichever OS you use less on that dual boot computer. All partitions will still be backed up as long as you boot the OS with the connector.
    Thank you, very helpful, but I'd like to follow-up on your statement that all partitions will be backed up - On this PC, Win7 sees both the Win7 and Vista partitions, while Vista only sees its own. In my scenario, I don't think the Vista connector could back up the Win7 partition - Or am I missing something?

And I do spend most of my time with Vista. I'm going to take your advise and uninstall the connector from Win7.

(WHS connector on the Win7 partition is not that important as I'm not running any critical activities on the Win7 partition, but your statement did pique my curiosity.)
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Thank you, very helpful, but I'd like to follow-up on your statement that all partitions will be backed up - On this PC, Win7 sees both the Win7 and Vista partitions, while Vista only sees its own. In my scenario, I don't think the Vista connector could back up the Win7 partition - Or am I missing something?

You should be able to see all partitions from either OS.  You might need to check Disk Management (from Vista) and assign it a drive letter there.

And I do spend most of my time with Vista. I'm going to take your advise and uninstall the connector from Win7.

(WHS connector on the Win7 partition is not that important as I'm not running any critical activities on the Win7 partition, but your statement did pique my curiosity.)

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:29 AM