WHS 2011 Dashboard shows no users or drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Running released version of WHS 2011.

I have a recent issue, when I load the Dashboard either locally or remotely it shows no users/computer/shares or drives.

When I try to add a folder for instance I get an error "Cannot add the folder.  The server cannot get the information it needs to add the folder".

Outside the dashboard all is well ... I can add users/shares etc with not issues.

I also can not longer login remotely via the WEB server.

Doesn't appear to be any usefully information it the logs, is there anyway to reinstall the dashboard?  Or has anyone a resolution to the issue?

Regards

Malcolm

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:29 PM

All replies

• Do you back your server up regularly? If so, restore from a backup taken just before the issue started.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Ken

Thanks for the quick response much appreciated.

I've done a little more digging and found most of the Window Server Services although marked as Automatic were not running.  Restarted a couple of them and then everything else kicked into life.

I did by the way try rebooting the server prior to this with no joy.

I will investigate the logs in more detail but nothing obvious there.

BTW - Yes I do back up the server regularly, not the data but the system itself.

Regards

Malcolm

• Edited by M Gillespie Monday, November 14, 2011 7:06 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:05 PM
  • What services did you restart?  I have a very similar problem with my WHS 2011 machine.

Like you, rebooting didn't fix anything either.

Friday, November 25, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Ken, at least answer what services you started to get this working.
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 2:07 AM
  • I too had the same issue. I had no users listed within the dashboard, no shares, unable to connect remotely using the web front end etc. I did as Ken suggested. There were quite a few services that weren't started despite their start up type being set to Automatic. 

To resolve I sorted all my services by startup type Automatic and started all of the ones that were stopped. For me these were mostly the services beginning with Windows server:

Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service

Windows Server Media Streaming and HomeGroup Service

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Windows Server SQM Service

Windows Server Settings Provider

Windows Server Service Provider Registry

Windows Server Backup Service

Windows Server Remote Web Access Administration Provider

Windows Server Notifications Provider Service

Windows Server Networking Helper Service

Net. Tcp Listener Adapter

Windows Server Initialization Service

Windows Server Identity Management Service

Windows Server Health Service

Windows Server Domain Name Management

Windows Server Devices Provider

Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service 

The majority of these services all depend upon the Windows Server Service Provider Registry service.

Upon starting all of the above services, this fixed the problem with the dashboard but upon rebooting my WHS box the services failed to start again.

Will see what else I turn up.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:26 PM
  • After a little further investigation I created a custom service not so long ago using instsrv and srvany.exe from the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit. The startup type was set to Automatic. This particular service was for a Python application. Maybe this was taking too long to start and having a knock on effect on the Windows Server Service Provider Registry Service not starting and as a result not starting all the above services I have listed above. I changed my startup type of my Python application custom service to Automatic (Delayed Start). Rebooted my WHS and all the services now start as they should and as a result my dashboard is working perfectly.
    • Proposed as answer by Zickhead Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:50 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:50 PM
  • For the record, the service that was causing this was most likely the "Windows Server Storage" service.

Affects Windows SBS 2011 as well!

Nick "The Naked MVP" Whittome

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:53 AM