Upgrading Vail Hard Drive, How do I transfer? RRS feed

• Question

• So I started out this test on an old disk I had around, now that its been pretty reliable I bought a pair of drives to leave in the system. Its an itx case so I can't have all 3 in there. My question is, I reinstalled the refreshed vail on the new drive, how can I get the files off of the original disk? I've tried plugging it into my regular desktop via usb dock and I can't find any of the shares. Do I have to put it back into the server, boot from it and copy it off over the network? Thanks for any help.
    Monday, September 6, 2010 3:38 PM

Answers

• Drive Extender V2 uses a block-based allocation scheme for data, rather than file-based. There's no tool to allow reading Vail drives on other computers.

I promise you, if the data isn't irreplaceable, the simplest thing to do is to recreate it from the source and move on. And please bear in mind that this is beta software, and using it in a production scenario is neither supported nor recommended.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Nardz84 Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:08 PM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 6:18 PM

All replies

• I assume the original installation, no the old drive, was the Vail beta released in April?

If the disk is bootable and the data on it is irreplaceable, you can reinstall it, boot from it, and copy over the network. If the disk isn't bootable, you'll either have to abandon the data on the disk, or you'll have to reinstall the older beta temporarily to access the data on the disk.

If the data isn't irreplaceable (and it shouldn't be, this is a beta product which could theoretically eat every byte of data you trust to it), replace it. :) It's less hassle overall, and frankly I think it's likely you'll have to do something similar to your current situation when Vail is finally released.

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:40 PM
  • The disk should be bootable, I just took it out of the system when I set up the new drives. The data isn't irreplaceable, its just very organized and from multiple machines, it would be far more convienent if I could just do a direct transfer from my usb dock but it sounds like I have to plug it back into the system and copy the files over the network and back to the new install once I put it back in. I know you could browse to the shares if you plugged the drive into another computer on WHS v1, did this feature go away in Vail or is it just not supported yet?
    Monday, September 6, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Drive Extender V2 uses a block-based allocation scheme for data, rather than file-based. There's no tool to allow reading Vail drives on other computers.

I promise you, if the data isn't irreplaceable, the simplest thing to do is to recreate it from the source and move on. And please bear in mind that this is beta software, and using it in a production scenario is neither supported nor recommended.

• Marked as answer by Nardz84 Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:08 PM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 6:18 PM
  • While I'm sure there are benefits this feature is a bit concerning, especially when it comes to troubleshooting any issues. If the only system that can read the files is the server itself, what are you supposed to do if you have some kind of hardware failure outside of the disks? Sounds like you're out of luck.
    Monday, September 6, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Build another server is one option. There's a suggestion on Connect to the effect that a tool is needed to read Vail drives on non-Vail systems. There are some challenges to this; the largest one I see is that a single drive out of server storage isn't going to be very useful if you have a large number of drives. Because of the block allocation of data on disks, large files may well be split across multiple disks, so you will need all the disks pieces of the file are on to be able to read the file.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:47 AM
  • Dang, after reading that link I have some concerns about this, I think I'll be switching to regular server 2008r2. I was primarily using this for shares anyway so I won't be missing out on much. Thank you for the help.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:41 AM