KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I finally managed to get the OS installed :-)
    whenever I am trying to access/copy or add files to the share folders I get the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSOD on my server.
    Can anyone please help
    I am new to WHS and its already beginning to make me think I should have not bothered with it :-(
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:38 AM

Answers

• "This Stop message indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. This Stop message is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware." More details overhere.

In most cases this is caused by failing hardware, often very difficult to diagnose. Anything else in the BSOD error (0x...........)?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:20 AM

All replies

• "This Stop message indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. This Stop message is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware." More details overhere.

In most cases this is caused by failing hardware, often very difficult to diagnose. Anything else in the BSOD error (0x...........)?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Hi and thanks for the reply - I got that from Google about the error, I was wondering if it was somehow how the drive was set up in the shared space - there was a lot of info on it that I wanted to retain and as such chose the 'keep existing files on the HDD'
    I think that maybe what is causing the error, but I am not up to speed on the WHS OS.

I will have a look later and post back :-)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27 AM
  • Hi and thanks for the reply - I got that from Google about the error, I was wondering if it was somehow how the drive was set up in the shared space - there was a lot of info on it that I wanted to retain and as such chose the 'keep existing files on the HDD'
    I think that maybe what is causing the error, but I am not up to speed on the WHS OS.

I will have a look later and post back :-)

Never seen the error on these forums, so I expect this has nothing to do with WHS itself or the way the drives are setup.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:48 AM
  • Ok - the server itself runs fine on its own - drives are ok and can get accessed and swap information between drives not a problem.
    The issue I have (KERNAL ERROR) happens when I try and access the server from another PC - as soon as I try and add/copy paste information to the drives I get the error on the SERVER and it BSOD
    There must be something simple that I am doing with the PC thats accessing the server to cause this.
    All I need is someone to talk me through as if they were just using there server to add say a music file and then how to access that file from another PC.

This may sound like a simple task to you, but I am  not used to the WHS OS.

So first thing would be to LOG off the server yes?
    and then use the shared files from the other PC to access the information wanted from the server then copy and paste to a location of my choosing on my PC yes?

If the above is correct then I have an issue elsewhere, if what I am doing above is wrong then please explain what is the correct way to obtain data from the server.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Ok - the server itself runs fine on its own - drives are ok and can get accessed and swap information between drives not a problem.
    The issue I have (KERNAL ERROR) happens when I try and access the server from another PC - as soon as I try and add/copy paste information to the drives I get the error on the SERVER and it BSOD
    There must be something simple that I am doing with the PC thats accessing the server to cause this.
    All I need is someone to talk me through as if they were just using there server to add say a music file and then how to access that file from another PC.

This may sound like a simple task to you, but I am  not used to the WHS OS.

So first thing would be to LOG off the server yes?
    and then use the shared files from the other PC to access the information wanted from the server then copy and paste to a location of my choosing on my PC yes?

If the above is correct then I have an issue elsewhere, if what I am doing above is wrong then please explain what is the correct way to obtain data from the server.
    You are correct.  You copy files to the server shares from another PC just like any other server.  There is nothing special/different about how you add files to your server shares compared to other OSes.  (All of the WHS "magic" is in the background, hidden away from where most users will see it.)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:00 PM
  • I suspect a problem with your (onboard?) network interface. Could be a driver issue, could be a hardware issue. (If hardware, it could indicate other hardware issues are pending...)

I would replace the network interface with a standalone NIC (based on an Intel or Marvell chipset by preference), install the Windows Server 2003 drivers for that nic, and disable the one that you're using now. Then test again.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Ok, I did as you suggested and it did seem to help for a while at least.
    When running a backup of the server the system BSOD with an HDD error again, so I am going to do a new installation of the OS.
    First question is.........do I have to use the MOBO SATA ports and drivers, OR can I just use the add in SATA cards (PCI) and install the device driver that comes with that when it asks at the F6 stage
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:49 AM
  • If you keep experiencing hardware related blue screen errors, it's possible that you have a more serious problem. If you haven't done so yet, you should run chkdsk on all the drives in your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:30 PM