Sharepoint Services RRS feed

• Question

• Adding the capability of using Sharepoint Services 3.0 (or maybe some limited version of it) would add the capability of shared calenders, tasks, todo lists, etc.

Also, possibly an automatic link to the photo library could enable the use of the Picture library in Sharepoint Services as well.

A webpart to allow access to Remote Desktop could be added.

This would give WHS a family 'home site' with remote access as well.

Just my thoughts.

Brian

Friday, March 16, 2007 11:16 PM

All replies

• There have been a couple of reports in the forums of success in installing Sharepoint Services 3.0 on WHS.

That said, I doubt that Microsoft will ever distribute Sharepoint as part of WHS. It's a complex tool, and not well-suited out of the box for use in a home environment. That goes against the idea of WHS, which is to be an easy to set up appliance on your home network that supplies some services that most homes need or want, usually without realizing that they need them.

If, however, you have a particular product or solution in mind, and the ability to develop it, I'm sure that there will be those who will want to use it.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:37 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

That said, I doubt that Microsoft will ever distribute Sharepoint as part of WHS. It's a complex tool, and not well-suited out of the box for use in a home environment. That goes against the idea of WHS, which is to be an easy to set up appliance on your home network that supplies some services that most homes need or want, usually without realizing that they need them.

I don't think think there's any doubt that MS want this to satisfy both the unsophisticated user and the tecchie. They are probably as happy as little meatballs in a rich tomato sauce that people are testing out things like SharePoint server.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:14 AM
  • I dunno - if the idea is to share calendars and all I'd think an Exchange Lite on WHS would meet that need better that SharePoint Lite.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 11:11 AM