none
Adding SyncToy to the AutoPlay List? RRS feed

• General discussion

• SyncToy is a great little program and very useful. However, it is a little annoying that when you plug in your pen drive you need to close down AutoPlay then click on SyncToy's icon to use it.

Might I suggest SyncToy is added to the AutoPlay list with the next update for those users wishing to activate it from there.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards

Othalian

Monday, March 22, 2010 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi, Othalian:

I think it is a good idea of your suggestion. Maybe we can look towards the future version.

Thanks,

Danish

• Edited by Danish Wang Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Hi Danish,

I'm glad you like the suggestion. Can I also ask you to consider the following:

1. Get rid of the "Change action..." link and replace it with a drop-down menu.

2. Provide a visual representation between the images of the Left Folder and the Right Folder showing which way the files will sync eg. Synchronize, Echo or Contribute. This will clarify things for most users.

3. Remove the "Change options..." link and replace with an "Options" button.

4. Provide a button on the My Docs Backup page within SyncToy for selecting subfolders. I found it was diffecult to locate and had to look on the Internet for the answer. 

I hope this helps you to further SyncToy in some small way, but feel free to irnore any suggestion that fails to follow your aims for SyncToy.

Regards

Othalian

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Hi Othalian,

Thank you for your advice, please see inline

1.       Get rid of the "Change action..." link and replace it with a drop-down menu.

Do you mean to replace “Change action…” into the “File” drop-down menu? In my opinion, “Change action…”can only appear in some of pages, if it is put in the “File” drop-down menu, some of users will be confused with the usage of it. Do you agree with me?

2.       Provide a visual representation between the images of the Left Folder and the Right Folder showing which way the files will sync eg. Synchronize, Echo or Contribute. This will clarify things for most users.

I’m afraid I did not catch your meaning. On my SyncToy2.1, there is a “SyncToy Action” under the images of the Left Folder and the Right Folder, which shows the action of SyncToy such as Syncronize, Echo, or Contribute.

3.       Remove the "Change options..." link and replace with an "Options" button.

Is the “Options” button a general button? Do you think this change will be a convenience for most users?

4.       Provide a button on the My Docs Backup page within SyncToy for selecting subfolders. I found it was difficult to locate and had to look on the Internet for the answer.

What do you mean about “My Docs Backup page”

Thanks,

Danish

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:44 AM
  • I would love to add a feature request for syncToy - its awesome the way it is.. but 'revision control' would take it over the top.. 

for example: if a file changes, i would like to keep a history of change  - or a copy of the older version of the file - it could be an option - and add a variable in how many versions you would like to keep. 

not sure which way would be best to keep the old versions.. - separate folder? renaming the file with a version number?..

Keep it comin! i use syncToy a lot.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:09 PM
  • I would love to add a feature request for syncToy - its awesome the way it is.. but 'revision control' would take it over the top.. 

for example: if a file changes, i would like to keep a history of change  - or a copy of the older version of the file - it could be an option - and add a variable in how many versions you would like to keep. 

not sure which way would be best to keep the old versions.. - separate folder? renaming the file with a version number?..

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:09 PM

Hi Renet,

It's also a new advice for SyncToy. In this way, would you just want to see the file version, which means SyncToy shows you a list of each change of the folder, or would you want to see the file of each version, which means SyncToy shows you the detail of each version of each file?

Thanks,

Danish

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:13 AM
  • I would also like to Sync Toy run in autoplay.  Synctoy is the program I use the most, in conjunction with my USB.  I think autoplay would be a great addition.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:04 PM