How to use SyncToy to restore an accidetally deleted file RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SyncToy2.1.  If I accidentally delete a file, there seems to be no way to get it back using SyncToy.  Say I have two machines, A and B, with folders that have been syned with SyncToy.  Then pretend I delete one of the synced files from machine A.  If I run SyncToy in ECHO mode, with machine B "on the left", using Preview I see that it does not detect the fact that machine B contains a file that machine A does not.  If I run in SYNCHRONIZE mode with machine B on the left it DOES offer to also delete the file from machine B, but in this case that is not what I want.  I suppose I could notice the offered deletion and move the file back over some other way, but I would like to tell SyncToy to do it for me.

Does anyone know how to use SyncToy to restore an accidentally deleted file?

Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• Echo will not replace a file that was previously "echoed" from B to A after it is deleted from A.  If you wanted that file copied over back to A, you would have to create a new sync pair with echo from B to A, just like the one you had.  With a new sync pair, your sync metadata would be new, thus, SyncToy would see the file you deleted in B as a new file and copy it over to A.  (Same thing holds for the synchronize mode case)

I suggest you manually copy the file you deleted from B else where, delete it from B, then sync, either using echo from B to A, or with synchronize mode. After you have done this, copy the file manually back, to B, then synchronize again.  This way, the file creation will flow back to A, and you will not need to recreate your sync pairs.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena Microsoft Sync Framework
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 7:37 PM
  • That is a very complicated solution.  But thank you for your time to research this for me nonetheless, I appreciate it.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 4:33 PM