none
SyncToy problem with User Account Control(UAC) RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that I am getting the following error when I try to do an "ECHO" sync from one drive to another:

SYNC: 01/26/2009 16:01:50:397: *** Error: Cannot write to the destination file. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

I am doing this on a laptop running Vista Home Premium, SyncToy 2.0 that has "User Account Control" enabled.

I did not have this feature on my XP machine and my Sync's worked just fine...but since I got a new laptop with Vista and UAC over the Christmas holidays my problems have started

I believe the problem lies with the fact that when I copy these files over "manually", I get the UAC pop-up screens prompting me on what I am about to do, and SyncToy is not able to interpret this and therefore fails with the above error.

The only "temporary" solution I found was to disable UAC, do the sync, and then enable UAC.

What makes this more cumbersome is that the computer needs to reboot for the UAC changes to take effect.

How can we get around this issue? I

I WANT to have UAC enabled for the added security.

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:39 PM

All replies

•  You could have a try by run synctoy.exe with "Run as Administrator", to see if this will help you resolve your problem.

Thanks
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:04 AM