Can I test at home then redeploy to a client site? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who has 5 sites with about 6 computers at each site. I've never installed a WHS. Is it feasible to test it on my home network then re-deploy it to one of my client's sites? Would the Home Server have to be completely wiped and re-installed or would it move without issue?
    Thanks,
    Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    • Edited by x7c00 Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:01 PM spelling
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:23 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can easily delete any data or accounts you create on the WHS prior to moving it to your client. WHS is really easy to set up - you will probably find it just as easy to install and configure on the client site.

Andrew
    MVP - Windows Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew EdneyModerator Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by x7c00 Monday, July 27, 2009 2:31 PM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:38 AM

All replies

• You can install and configure Windows Home Server and then move it if you want, you may need to check the remote access features to ensure that any firewalls or whatever on the client sites dont stop it working. You would then install the Connector software on each computer and then connect those computers to the WHS in that site.

Hope that helps?

Andrew

Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:25 PM
  •      I hate to sound dense but - just to be clear - Can I easily delete the machine accounts and data I create from my home network? 
         I think this will be a real G_D send to the small non profit orgs that I service. I can't wait to get started. I just ordered my first WHS today. As soon as I get a little experience with it I'm installing it in my first client site. 
         Thanks Andew! And Thank the people at MS. I know they take a lot of grief but their are a lot of people who wouldn't have a job without them. Most of the orgs that I work with wouldn't be able to do what they do with out MS. 

Regards,
    Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Yes, you can easily delete any data or accounts you create on the WHS prior to moving it to your client. WHS is really easy to set up - you will probably find it just as easy to install and configure on the client site.

Andrew
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew EdneyModerator Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by x7c00 Monday, July 27, 2009 2:31 PM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Be aware, that you will have to assign a live ID with the WHS website for remote access. Using your own ID to reserve the customer homeserver.com website is not the best idea.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Thank you both. I will not enable the remote access parts. I also may wait until I get on site to experiment. I've been given enough, time by my boss, to install it and try it out.
    I first have to figure out and untangle the user profile thing on each computer assigning the same strong password to same user accounts. I also want to clean the machines of malware before I start. The machines in these workgroups are typically loaded with spyware.
    Thank you both again,

Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

P.s. Regards from Philadelphia
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:31 PM