MCITP Training in Northern VA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

You may have heard this question before but since I couldnt find an answer to it on this website I have no choice but to ask here.

I am planning on taking MCITP Windows 2008 Server administrator course, I understand that I need to take three exams: 070-640, 070-642, and 070-646. I have a B.S. in Information Assurance but do not work in the IT field. This is my first certification exam which is why I am so freaking out. 

I reside in Northern Virginia and want to find a good training institute to prepare me for it this MCITP. I don't have my employer, parents or anyone for that matter paying for this training so I am a little cost conscious and dont want to waste my time and hard earned money. Does any one know of any good training institute to attain this certification in the Northern Virginia area?

I see that Northern Virginia Community College and University of Mary Washington are offering this training but I have no idea how good they are. I have taken plenty of IT classes at NVCC and I am a skeptical about them as [some of] their professors don't seem to be very enthusiast about teaching. I am considering taking the training at UMW which costs about $2500+textbook.  The Instructor name is Nall Bogart. Since these courses are not being taught by regular professors there are no reviews on the RateMyProfessor website and I have no way to review them beforehand.

Does anyone have any sincere recommendations for good MCITP training site in NoVA? I understand that no one can truly guarantee that a student will pass the certification exam after taking training courses at their site. If I am to put my hard earned money on something I would like to put it where it will help me to attain certification. Please don't provide me a listing of all training institutes in NoVA as I have done that already. Please help me by recommending a good MCITP training institute in Northern Virginia area where instructors properly prepare their students for this certification. Thanks :)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:58 AM

Answers

• You might want to look at some of the video based training from either CBT Nuggets, TestOut or Trainsignal, along with using either the MS Press or Sybex book for self-study purposes. 

Alternatively, New Horizions (there are two locations in VA - http://www.newhorizons.com/content/centerSearchResults2.aspx?ABR=VA&SFN=Virginia) or Glogal Knowledge (four locations in VA - http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/location.asp?pageid=3&country=United+States) are reputable training facilities.  The downside of these is the $$.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:39 PM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You might want to look at some of the video based training from either CBT Nuggets, TestOut or Trainsignal, along with using either the MS Press or Sybex book for self-study purposes. 

Alternatively, New Horizions (there are two locations in VA - http://www.newhorizons.com/content/centerSearchResults2.aspx?ABR=VA&SFN=Virginia) or Glogal Knowledge (four locations in VA - http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/location.asp?pageid=3&country=United+States) are reputable training facilities.  The downside of these is the $$.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:39 PM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Mr. Putnam for your recommendation. Have you attended New Horizon's MCITP training? If so how did you like it? Do you think it properly prepared you for the certification exam? I am looking more for someone's personal experience at a local training site. There are no neutral websites that review the training and instructors at these institutions which is why I am here in this forum.

Still, if anyone else has any recommendations for GOOD local training facilities that they have attended and were pleased with results please let me know. If anyone has taken certification preparation classes at NVCC or UMW please let me know of your experience there as well. Thanks :)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:33 PM
  • I primarily use self-study, using one of the three video training companies noted above, and either (sometimes both) MS Press or Sybex as a text book.  Locally, here in Houston, both New Horizons and Global Knowledge have good reputations.
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:09 PM
    Answerer
  • I am still looking for someone's first hand experience. So.... Is there anyone on this forum who has experience taking courses in Northern VA? Preferably I am looking for someone's experience at NVCC, GTCC, UMW or GMU. Thanks. :)
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Hey Waji,

Nall Bogart is acutally my dad, he is a really good teacher, i sat in his class a few times, and he is very fast paced and funny. He is really knowledgeable about all kind of computer junk, you would really like his class.

I go to NVCC so if you have any questions let me know. =)

Adios.

_Kristi

Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Kristi,

Does your dad teach at UMW or NVCC?

Friday, January 21, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Let me know if you get any more info on this. I am interested in getting my MCITP too now. Also, do you know if the MCITP covers basic networking principals. I never grasped those too well and would need a refresher course on them.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Hey Waji - I am in the same requirement conditions as your original post. What did you end up doing for this cert? thanks for your reply.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 2:46 PM