CRM 2011 outlook client on W7 home (without domain) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i have a user with W7 home premium, CRM from IE works fine, outlook configuration wizard doesnt (I get the message "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.")

This is probably because the notebook is not a member of a domain (and cant be), do you know how to go around it?

Thanx for answer

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:01 AM

Answers

• I figured.  Thanks.  And since you have been working with CRM for five years, you know that if a company does not have a good "road", you can't run this "Car" on it.

So Jan, if you willing to do it for free, configure IFD and buy a Cert.

I think we can close this one.

Curtis J Spanburgh

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:12 PM

All replies

• how user able to access the exchange email with out connecting to network? I guess you need to either do VPN to your network or enable your CRM to IFD (internet facing deployment) for this to work.

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter

Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi, the client doesnt use MS exchange. All services in the company work exept CRM...
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:49 AM
  • If the computer can't be a member of the domain - an IFD setup is you only other option I believe.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:05 PM
  • The Planning Document can be a bit misleading.

Any one of the following operating systems is required:

• Windows 7 (both 64-bit and 32-bit versions)
    • Windows Vista (both 64-bit and 32-bit versions)
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
    • Microsoft Windows XP Tablet SP3
    • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

But Home versions cannot be connected to a domain.   That might sound like a simply small restriction, but IT professionals know that has far reaching effects with protocols and communication with other networks. For instance SAAS and PAAS cloud providers will need an OS that is compatible with their protocols.

And soon we will have our CRM cloud deployments integrated with our corporate AD forest.

So any "home" version of an OS is a liability.

Curtis J Spanburgh

Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hi Curt, I know... I was just wondering whether exists some way around. Version CRM 4.0 was running fine on Home and it wasnt supported as well.

The client doesnt have Active Directory at all... Yes I know its strange, but you can live without an AD in a small company with 15PC's.

Thanx Jan

Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Are you using CRM 2011 online?  I think you must be because CRM 2011 on-premise requires Active Directory.

I don't see why Win 7 Home edition would not work with CRM 2011 online. I wonder if there is another problem. Did you try the Client diagnostic tool http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/rc/2011/en-us/online/5.0/outlook-troubleshooting.aspx

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Hi it is CRM on-premise.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Ok, that is very Active Directory forest centic.

So , we see an upgrade in your future.

/:>

Curtis J Spanburgh

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Hmmm I know, but the client doesnt want to upgrade... it doesnt bring them anything but costs a lot :(
    Friday, November 2, 2012 12:55 PM
  • I dispute that AD costs a lot. Upgrading to Windows Pro version might cost a bit (but then this only makes me think of the phrase "I would not have started from here" - Home editions are a false economy as the price difference on OEM licences on new kit is marginal to say the least).

And brings all sorts of systems management benefits (simply having one user account to log on to all devices for a start, not maintaining horrible local accounts). I admit, I'm also bit of a Group Policy evangelist, but you can make your sysadmin and users' lives so much easier, even with 10 or so users there is a payoff of a more consistent, controlled environment.

Anyway right now the issue is that you have CRM On-premise in a windows network with no Active Directory domain? I would have to ask how you managed to install that. It sounds like you have AD for some user accounts so they can log on to CRM via browser, but the machines are not joined to the domain. You should still be able to get Outlook to work (since it can work with CRM online without needing to be in a domain) but might need to configure CRM for IFD using ADFS.

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Good comments about the client upgrade and the false economy.

Seems like it was just expected that the home machines would just use the web client.

Well, now the expense of configuring IFD and when there is a small shop it is often a small firewall from outside the office.

Either way, avoiding cost can lead to avoiding the functionality.

It doesn't sound like the client can accept more complexity or what they would consider complexity.  We would look at it as a flexible solution to have both options.

Curtis J Spanburgh

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:15 PM
  • IFD does not have to be internet-facing, it can be used as an authentication mechanism for internal users too, and I have a feeling it might in this case get around the fact that Outlook is running on a non-domain joined machine (in IFD mode it won't expect to be).

Yes, some configuration needed, and a certificate too (or use self-signed, but since the machines are not part of a domain that is even more admin to go round making sure they trust the cert...).

Issue really seems to be that the client has emails and other content in Outlook they want to synchronise with CRM (which sounds like a good idea), so although they might use IE for most of their CRM interaction, they want the value of that "Track" button.

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Hi all, I dint want to go so deep, but as the discussion grows you deserve better explanation... :)

So the client is typical small company with "old school" admin. They use always the cheapest option. Most of the software is open source, all HW is old, many printers are still dot matrix printers DOT MATRIX PRINTERDOT MATRIX PRINTERetc.

Finally they decided to buy some sophisticated system for communication with suppliers and partners and asked me for help. Because some of the users are my friends I wanted to help them. I have found some local Czech CRM software (not really good but at least working) and I have also shown them what I do (5 years of MS CRM consultancy). YES we want this, MS CRM is perfect! Hmm but you know you would need to change many things in your company, use MS Outlooks instead of Thunderbird have a domain and what a surprise have a server!

After hours of discussion they decided for MS CRM. So now the company has one small server with Windows small business server (I don’t recommend it, but the price is soooooo sexy…), CRM on-premise. CRM online wasn’t for them an option (don’t ask me why).

They also have 3 notebooks with Windows 7 Pro and 12 with W7 home. So only 3 can use CRM in outlook, the rest uses IE (which is what I told them hundred times…) of course the ones with IE are jealously looking at those with Outlook J.

So, this is the whole story…

Best regards Jan

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:24 AM
  • I figured.  Thanks.  And since you have been working with CRM for five years, you know that if a company does not have a good "road", you can't run this "Car" on it.

So Jan, if you willing to do it for free, configure IFD and buy a Cert.

I think we can close this one.

Curtis J Spanburgh

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:12 PM
  • OK thanx...

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:29 PM
  • I hope you found a solution already, but if not - another way is described here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crm/thread/bde454cd-1979-469e-aa29-f415162d868e/

no need to buy certificates

"I can sucessfully connect to the CRM 2011 AD on premise server from my outlook. Here are the steps i have done

1. Installed CRM 2011 server in windows server 2008
    2. Updated the webaddress with https binding in deployment manager in the server.
    3. Created a self signed certificate (Testing).
    4. Exported the certificate as .pfx file and imported in to my local computer (client) certificate store.
    5. Access the crm website from internet explorer and provide the credentials(windows authentication)
    6. Open the internet explorer settings and allow the internet explorer to auto save the credentials so that when you login next time it won't ask for the credentials.
    7. Also add the website ipaddress in to the trusted sites.
    8. Now i tried to connect from the outlook crm by giving the url as https://x.y.z
    9. Now the connection was successfull.

vinay kasireddy"
    • Edited by maciej.j Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:29 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:28 PM